Does your child manipulate a lot?

My 5 year old son is a pretty well behaved child but whenever we have company he manipulates them by asking to do things he knows he's not supposed to do or he'll ask them for things he knows he's not supposed to have. I figured he was testing his limits but whenever company is over and I punish him or even have our guests tell him no he throws a screaming, screeching fit that I must admit is quite annoying. When I try to tell him no to something when we have company he runs away whining and goes and sits on their lap. Does your child do this a lot? What can I do to make him stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• what is he not allowed to do?
    Anonymous

• For example he will ask our guests to get him snacks even though he just ate, only he's acting as if he hasn't been fed. He also knows he's not supposed to touch things like the computer or stick things in the fish tank but when we have company for some reason he thinks that everyone will find it funny.
    Anonymous

• It sounds like he's looking for attention. I don't think he's actually trying to be mainpulative. It sounds like something my brother would do when he was that age. Perhaps you could show him how to get the right attention. Maybe do some artwork before the guests come over and have him show it to them. Or maybe if the guests are comfortable enough, they can engage in an activity with him. Drawing, coloring, playing easy board games, go fish, etc.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 7:40 PM on Nov. 8, 2009