Jesus said it would be hard.

What's hard about being a follower of God? From my personal experience, it's determining what is truth in the bible and what are the doctrine's of demons. What legalism we are under and what we aren't.

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 6:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Isn't the whole bible supposed to be the truth?? If you have to weed thru it, and it's open for interpretation as to what parts are truth and what parts are not then it kinda negates the book as a whole doesn't it??

Anonymous

• I think for me that the hard part is doing right when you really don't want to. My daughter was raped....I know that is not of God, but the choice of a bad person. I also know that I am supposed to forgive to be forgiven, but in this case it is SO hard. I haven't been able to do so as of yet....but I know that it is what is right. So I guess the hard part comes with how we react to bad things that happen to us on this Earth.
    Anonymous

• The hard part for me was believing in something I couldn't see. Just sayin'.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• do you believe that the wind exist, or gravity or gas? we cant see those things either, but we know that they exist.
    Anonymous

• Here I will try to help you with your troubles
    op: it's determining what is truth in the bible
    Bible: Everything is truth from the Bible.
    2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
    what are the doctrine's of demons. the doctrines of demons are any doctrine that lies and teaches their own beliefs rather than what the Bible says
    What legalism we are under and what we aren't.
    we aren't under the laws we are saved by God through the blood of Jesus Christ
    Anonymous

• What was hard for me about being a "godslave" was having to turn off my brain. To stop questioning how Noah could get 60 million animals on that little ark. I really wanted to know. Or how Jesus can offer you insurance for being a believer (being provided for like the birds of the air and the lillies of the field and whatsoever you ask in his name will be done) and then not show up to deliver that protection when you really need it. It's hard to obey the command in Deut. 21:18-21 to stone my misbehaving child to death. I love my children and, even when they misbehave I never wanted to kill them for it. Being a christian also meant following SOME of the law while ignoring the nasty parts and I never knew which I was supposed to do and which to conveniently "forget". It has been easier to be an atheist. I have a much better sense of morality than the jewish/christian god. No confusion that way.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 7:53 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Witchqueen... the reason its hard for you is the lack of understanding of His grace. Many Christians keep looking through the eyes of the World rather than the eyes of God and His Kingdom.
    What seems logical to us is not logical to God what seems illogical to us is logical to Him. We only just have to grasp it.
    I think in the next few days however He leads I will attempt to write a journal about this. It is evident to me that many don't understand what they don't see or know.

Jesus never promised an easy road but He did promise to be there always as we walk the narrow path that leads to eternity.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:40 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• so witchqueen you're not a witch?
    Anonymous

• Remember the context of WHEN Christ said it would be hard. His followers were going AGAINST established beliefs and practices. Christians were persecuted in the beginning.

And He does ask us to do hard things. Such as the story of meeting the rich young man in Mark 10:17 - :25...He told the young man to sell all he owned to follow Him. The young man went away said, for he had many possessions.

Christ asks us to do difficult things. Turn the other cheek. Love your enemy. These are HARD things for many of us to do!

Following the letter of the law is not enough. Otherwise the priests, scribes and Pharisees would not have received His condemnation. There is the SPIRIT of the law as well.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:34 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• This is the problem I see with the hermeneutics of certain Christian religious groups. I don't believe that the Bible was meant to be taken literally 100% across the board. To do so would mean the Bible does indeed contradict itself. There are levels of meaning and understanding in the Bible. The Bible is a collection of books written by multiple authors over the course of thousands of years. It is indeed God's breathed word BUT it also gives time and era relevant instruction to specific individuals and groups as well as reflects an author's writing style, personal opinions, education level (etc). I think a knowledge of history and era/culture specific practices and literary styles of the various times in which the Bible was written is helpful when interpreting what was meant for them to take literally but is meant for us to take by moral principle.

(cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:06 PM on Nov. 8, 2009