Why won't my 5year old stay in his bed at night???

My ds is driving me and dh crazy. We started out staying in his bed till he fell asleep-that seemed to be working. He recently had a cold and we let him sleep in our bed a couple nights. Now he is somehow waking up in the middle of the night and coming into our room-there is not enough room in our full bed for all three of us, so I get forced to the sofa. I am soar and tired-I am not sure what I can do. Help!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Because he is spoiled. Take charge and make him go back to his own room. It will be hard the first couple of nights, but worth it in the end. Just keep returning him to his bed. And make it clear that he has no choice in the matter, he sleeps in his bed you sleep in yours. He is old enough to understand that your bed is not big enough for three.
    Anonymous

• All three of my kids do the same thing. When he gets up and trys to get in your bed, say no and tell him to be a big boy and go to sleep in his bed. Take him in there and tell him that he has to be a big boy...and if he doesn't have a night lite, you might get him one. Just keep taking him back to his bed...it will take a while for him to stop all together, but that is the only way to get it to stop, try your best not to give in.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 6:21 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Buy a king size bed:)

Seriously, he has gotten used to being next to you first with you laying down with him at night then when he moved to your bed. You can lock your door if it really is bothersome or put him back in his bed every time he comes to your room. You still wont get much sleep for the first few weeks.

Ask him why he likes to get in bed with you and then see if you can "fix" the problem.

All three of my children got in the bed with hubby and I, my youngest is almost 8, he is the last so I don't mind, but then again I have a king bed...Of course they don't do it all the time and it is always in the middle of the night. Good luck to ya mom...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:22 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• You haven't given us any back ground on your son (is he autistic?). You also haven't given us any reason why your son has been requiring you to spend time in his bed until he falls asleep. I have NEVER done this with my 5 year old. He went to his bed, got a hug and kiss and good night. I might have had to go in a few times when he was a baby. He was put to bed and that was that. It's the same way now. He tries the "I'm thirsty", "I have to go potty", stuff...but he's 5. That's the nature of the beast. I don't do it for him, he gets his own sip of water, goes potty by himself and goes and puts himself back to bed. We don't allow a whole lot of what we call "lollygagging" on the bedtime issue because he gets up at 6 on school days to catch the bus at 6:45. You must also establish that YOUR bed is YOUR and YOUR HUSBAND'S area. He doesn't get in your bed without your express permission.
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 6:37 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Thank You !
    He got up at 2:30am as usual. He tried really hard to get in our bed but dh got up-put him back twice and he stayed! I actually had a dream last night! Yeah:)
    Got a little peeved w/dh as he kept telling ds,Mommy says you are a big boy now and can sleep in your own bed. Argh! It's just typical. I told him NO. Not "mommy says" He IS a Big boy-everything is always Mommy's fault-I'm so mean,Lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on Nov. 9, 2009