Has anyone bought IKEA furniture? Is it sturdy and well-made?

I want to buy some IKEA furniture, but I'm looking online and I just can't tell if it is well-made. It's so cheap!

Liz_24

Asked by Liz_24 at 5:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Home & Garden

• It's hard to tell online. As with any brand, some things are very well made, some aren't. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I love ikea stuff & yes very durable very well made
    racheal1977

Answer by racheal1977 at 5:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Oooh I love Ikea! You have to assemble it but YES all the tihings i've had are very sturdy and look good too! They are cheap cause they don't waste $ on ads much and it comes from sweden to a giant warehouse- style showroom and YOU have to assemble it. very well made tho, good luck with the directions in six languages (LOL)
    thegoddessofwit

Answer by thegoddessofwit at 5:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• IKEA is the BEST made furniature you will EVER buy for soo cheep a price and YES it is sturdy AND well made. The instructions to put it together are SOO easy, anyone with a 3rd grade reading level can put it together, and if you cant read? It has step by step picture instructions!!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I have a wall unit from Ikea's Besta line, and another cabinet. I love them!
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I worked for Ikea for about 11 years. It is sturdy, although the upholstered furniture and mattresses I would steer clear of.
    Anonymous

• I love ikea. We bought the kids' beds from there and they love them and they have held up well so far (we paid $80 for each of the girls beds--matresses included--and they have lasted longer then the $400 crib we had). We do have a couch from them and the arm is broken from the kids hanging off of it but I think we could fix it if we wanted to. The cover holds it on which is why I love the couch. I like that I can take the cover off and wash it or replace it. Seems essential when you have small kids.

I would buy a sofa from them again (we only paid $500 for it, including the cover) and it is a full sized sofa.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:04 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• YES! I love Ikea. I have a whole bedroom set and pretty much my whole livingroom all Ikea. My son has one of there toddler beds. I've never had an issue with there items.
    krise

Answer by krise at 3:09 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• IKEA is great, you could go there with any budget and go crazy!! Just know most items you do have to put togther yourself, thats a big reason why they are so cheap ;)
    jliv131

Answer by jliv131 at 7:54 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• We love Ikea!! I am not sure I would buy a couch or mattress from there (have no personal experence) but I love the furnature. Very sturdy and very well made. You have to put it together youself but it sure makes bringing it home easier.
    shymom24

Answer by shymom24 at 9:36 PM on Nov. 12, 2009