is six months too young for cheerios?

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 6:27 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No.... If you're comfortable... go for it.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 6:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• i say yes its too young. babies shouldnt be eating anything but breast milk n my opinion unless your are only formula feeding but if i was FF i would not introduce foods until 9 months or later. just because a baby looks at you while you eat does not mean he or shes body is ready for real food. a babies intestines are not ready for it. Once my baby is born im BF but i wont introduce food till 9months or so
    Anonymous

• Can he/she chew? I would think they might be a choking hazard at that age.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• My daughter is 6 months and I wouldnt give them to her. I would be affraid she would choke.
    momtopreemie521

Answer by momtopreemie521 at 6:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I would be concerned about choking hazard. If you sit AND WATCH him, maybe not. Still, I wouldn't at that age. My baby choked on them at nine months. Of course, that's just MY kid, and that's all. Heck, my 2 year old could choke on them with how well she pays attention sometimes!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:51 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• My son at 6 months was getting them because he was Formula fed and started solids early at 4 months and was getting close to eating table food by that time... My DD was breastfed and she didn't even start rice cereal until after 6 months so it kinda depends on the baby. I would want my baby to have had good practice with things like biter biscuit's and yogurt melts before offering cheerios my self.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:53 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Oh yeah... also they have Gerber puffs.. those actually dissolve in their mouths... you can also try that. Good Luck. :-) YOU know your child best.....
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 6:53 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• It does seem young but if your baby has mastered baby food, has moved on to table food, can sit up on his own for extended period of time, and has the pincher grasp to pick them up - if he has met all those milestones then he might be ready.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 7:27 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• i have 7 children and i never fed mine them until they had a few teeth.
    tbseven

Answer by tbseven at 8:24 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Yes, it's fine. We not only gave Cheerios, we started table foods at that age. By 9 months, they were completely on table foods.

It depends on the baby, to be sure. Some are ready to eat real food, some are not. It doesn't matter about teeth because they don't chew with the teeth that come in as babies anyway! They only use molars to chew which don't come in closer to (if not after) a year.

As for breastfeeding or formula feeding, that has NOTHING to do with when you start solids, finger foods and/or table foods. It's moronic to think it does.
    Anonymous