A feeding schedule for an infant~to prevent an overweight baby/child?

I know a lot of moms and pediatricians like a feeding schedule for infants. My dh and I never put our babys on one. My nephew has been placed on one and is being formula fed. I am curious if this is a proven way to prevent the baby from being overweight and overweight as a child? My brother and his wife are afraid of him having a weight problem because my neice has a tummy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• No, it's not. If they're that worried about weight problems, then why isn't she breast feeding? That's silly! Formula is shown to increase the weight of babies and to contribute to weight problems later in life.

I always fed my daughter on cue (breast), and she's actually really skinny. That's anecdotal evidence, but clinical evidence shows that feeding schedules don't help.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Blah. The kid will slim out when he/she gets older. Don't NOT feed the kid..... That's just silly and wrong, IMO!
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 6:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• OP here.
    Ati My sil has implants and really has had a lot of trouble bfing. I know she tried but got scared when my nephew lost weight the first week. I always fed my babys on cue. I figure that they know when their little bodies are hungry.
    Ly, I agree and I feel bad for my nephew. I think they are being cruel by not allowing his body to regulate on its own:( I'm worried.
    Anonymous

• My logic says if you don't feed a baby enough when they depend on you for food, that when they can get it themselves they're going to overfeed themselves. I hope that made sense.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:05 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• My formula-fed toddler is only 20 pounds...obviously NOT overweight, and she has a "buddha belly".

Feed the child when they are hungry. Parents shouldn't be worrying themselves with their baby's weight. Our society is too "BE THIN"-minded, and we don't need to put that pressure on our babies.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Losing weight in the first week is normal. And implants rarely affect breastfeeding. She wasn't educated and that's okay, but she should educate herself for future kids (if she's planning more).
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:12 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• My kids were both formula feed past week 3. Neither are heavy, in fact my daughter is now a bit underweight at 5. I always feed them on demand, although I stuck to a loose schedule so I knew about when to feed them. But if they were hungry I feed them, off schedule or not.

All toddlers will have a "tummy" b/c they lack the muscle development that tilts their pelvis back and hold in their gut!! (there is a much better way to explain that I just can't think of the words at the moment)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:53 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• no it's not. Cause you feeding a child every few hours rather they want food or not. I've seen breastfed chunky babies, I have seen chunky formula babies and I have seen them both thinner. Just so you know that if your baby falls in the 95 % for weight or higher your baby is considered obese. And all toddlers have tummies. Their muscles in the abdominal wall are not fully developed yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I am taking a Child Psych class, and you are really NOT supposed to have the baby on a feeding schedule. Isn't the way to a healthy lifetime weight knowing how to listen to your own body's cues, anyways? For adults, 'diets' just tend to make the person obsessed with food. Better to be in touch with your body.
    Anyways, implants? feeding schedules? who is this woman???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Actually i think that schedules may do more harm than good, a child that feeds on a schedule instead of when its hungry doesn't learn to recognize when its hungry or thirsty and will eat because its time to eat instead of eating because its hungry! I really don't believe in schedules for infants at all.
    Its normal for babies to lose weight during the first week of their lives, most women with implants can breastfeed just fine.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 11:35 AM on Nov. 9, 2009