Time outs

Is 15 months too young for a time out? My daughter has decided to stop listening and I am out of ideas.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've used time outs with my son since he was a year old. They work great for him. He only gets time outs about 2 times a month and he is really well behaved for a two year old. Since she's one, just make sure she only sits in time out for one minute.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• They didn't work for me at that age. I did far better with redirecting. However, it can't hurt to try!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:25 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I've been using Time-outs since my son was about 10-11 months old. They work for me and he knows exactly what a time-out is. When I give him his one and only warning he usually stops what he is doing, but of course he is a toddler and does push his bounderies. You just have to be consistant and never give empty threats. If you're going to give a warning, then be prepared to carry through with that warning when she does it again. If you don't then you can be sure they'll never take you seriously and it won't work. Remember toddlers ARE going to push their limits and test their bounderies. They're toddlers and that's their job for the moment. Sometimes it will seem my son gets three time-outs in a single day. Whereas other times he won't get one for a few days. It all depends on how defiant and stuborn he is being that day. I garuntee you though, if you're consistant and follow through everytime .. it will work.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:54 PM on Nov. 8, 2009