Seasonal flu vaccines questions...anyone have answers for an inquiring mind.

Whenever I read posts on here about flu vaccines...I sometimes see a reply how the seasonal flu vaccines is new every year or every other year...well it's new due to the different strain of virus they put in the vaccines. ..right? My questions are this:

How does the medical manufacturer know what strain of flu virus that's going to go around for that year?

And what if different people have different strain?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Health

• The seasonal flu is new every year, they make a educated guess as to which flu virus will be most likely to hit. The seasonal vaccine is actually 2 different strains and I have heard it being up to 3 but I don't know that for sure, but I do know it has two strain, type A and type B.

As for the different strain, well that's H1N1, and that's why they have a new vaccine for it too.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:38 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• OP here:

So can the H1N1 be part of the new strain in next years seasonal flu vaccine? Or will it be different vaccine as it was this year?
    Anonymous

• Who knows, but if it keeps mutating like every does over time, I am sure they will need to keep doing the same thing with it as they do with the seasonal flu. Hopefully it will disappear like it did in the 50's and in 1976 and not come back for a 30 years...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:14 PM on Nov. 8, 2009