how did you get your 1 year to use a sippy cup?

jilliank1109

Asked by jilliank1109 at 7:38 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (-17 Credits)
  • Honeslty. . .we didn't He went straight from boob to a cup with a straw. We tried sippy cups but he didn't like them. We tried a cup with a straw & he loved it.
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 7:52 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• We used them for water from about 7 months on... with my first we had to try lots of different kinds to get her to drink cow's milk out of them (water she wasn't picky...) and we ended up with a straw cup with a valve. My second daughter prefers another kind. I'd try to experiment with the kind you give first... And get rid of the bottles, if you haven't done that already. Kiddo will have to drink somehow.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:04 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• take away the bottle at this stage and give a cup. they'll be a bit unsatisfied at first, but at leat you wont have one of those kids walking around walmart with a bottle in their mouth at five!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:21 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I just simply gave it to them. I started giving water in a sippy to both of mine at 7 months. I just left it out on the coffee table all day long and left a sippy of water in the crib with them for naps and bed time. Just provide plenty of opportunities to use the sippy.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:36 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Dont give him an option, They will drink when they are thirsty..Just becuase they dont want it right away dont give up. One thing tho, my daughter has an allergy to silacone so try a couple of different kinds. just because they dont want it right away dosnt mean much....kids arent thirsty every min. of every day, its almost pure comfort to have a bottle, You will be surprised how much less they pee and save you more on diapers........
    youlookin4me

Answer by youlookin4me at 8:49 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• At 8 mos I filled cups with water and put them in with their toys. At 12 mos we made the switch from formula to milk and once they were on 100% milk I just put the milk in a sippy, no more bottle. I did warm the milk still for the first week or so and then went ahead and gave it to them cold.

If your LO seems to have difficulty you can try replacing the bottle with a cup one feeding at a time. Start with the first and save the last bottle of the day for last. If he still had a pre-bed bottle, make it a pre-bed sippy with some extra snuggle time: that's what he's really going for: getting comfy and snuggly before bed, he's not necessarily hungry/thirsty.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 9:12 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• threw out all bottles and pacifiers the day after her 1st birthday and gave her just the cup cryed for the bottle for about three days and that was it i didn't want her to be two with a bottle still in her mouth
    Anonymous

• My son refused to use a sippy cup. He likes to chew on the nipple, but when it came to drinking it he'd only do it if I held the sippy for him. Something I wasn't even about to start doing. Therefore, we went straight to big boy cup and he took to that naturally. He loves drinking out of a regular cup, but only gets it while he's in his highchair with a bib. I think it's easier that he isn't using a sippy cup, because then we don't have to wean him off of one in the future.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:51 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• When my boys turned one I took the bottle away completely and handed them a sippy cup. My older son cried for his bottle for a few days but after that was ok. My younger son had no issues with the switch. Neither of them had any issues giving up the sippy cup when it was time.
    kendra1417

Answer by kendra1417 at 12:06 AM on Nov. 9, 2009