Cooking

I have a limited food budget and I have no idea how to cook! I have a 1 year old and I am due any day. I dont have any clue on how to season meats or put things together to make meals. All of my food money is gone the first 2 weeks of the month because I end up buying a lot of pre cooked meals that I just have to put in the oven. Any suggestions?

shannonre

Asked by shannonre at 7:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Get yourself a crockpot, ask your Mom, Aunt, friend, anyone who would like to give theirs away if you can't afford to buy one. You can make almost anything in one and it's no fail! You can put a whole chicken in one with a little salt and pepper and some broth about a quarter of the way up, some carrots, onions, and potatoes, set it for slow cook and if you have it in by 10 am, it will be ready by 5pm. I have a crockpot cook book so message me if you want some recipes.. Or help with anything!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:51 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Ground meat has a lot of uses and ways to prepare it. From hamburgs, sloppy joe, barbecue, spaghetti sauce, soups, meat pies. Get a cookbook, a good basic general cookbook is nice. And there are specialty cookbooks too. Good and Easy by Betty Crocker- I think- is one I used a lot when I was just learning cooking. For hamburgs, since you are on a budget, I'd form the patty and cook the burgers in a skillet, seasoning with just a little salt and pepper. Cook until the bottom is nicely browned then flip the burgers over and cook the other side until the burger is cooked all the way through. I use a knife to check. For barbecue, cook up the meat - break it up in the skillet and stir it around on the heated stove top- until there is no red left. Then you can mix barbecue sauce in. For spaghetti - cook up the meat as above, add a can of spaghetti sauce, serve over pasta- cook according the the directions on the box.

Answer by Bmat at 7:52 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• This might sound dumb, but there are always recipes. Some basic easy, cheap foods are rice and beans, pasta, baked potatoes, stews. I'm a vegetarian, so that's just a few suggestions.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 7:54 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Hot dogs are easy, too. Follow the directions on the box. Grilled cheese- get some American or provolone and lightly butter one side of a slice of bread, put it buttered side down on the skillet, place cheese slices on top, top with another slice of buttered bread, buttered side up. Cook on one side until browned, then flip over and cook on the other side until browned. For chicken, follow the directions on the package or use your recipe book. Eggs are an easy meal. Scramble them by mixing them with a fork and a little milk and salt and pepper. Spray skillet with cooking spray or use a little oil or butter, add the egg mixture and cook, stirring or turning as the bottom cooks. Most meals should include a couple vegetables and fruits. Buy whats on sale. Frozen is good, too. Fresh vegetables and fruits are a nutritious idea.

Answer by Bmat at 7:56 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• when you cook with meats except for hamburger, you can put on something called seasoned salt, its a season. that way you dont have to figure each and every single season out for starters and when you continue to get better, you will buy organo, parsely and such.

americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:52 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• If you buy them campbells soups every different kind of soup has a recipe on the back of the can, very budget friendly.

http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.aspx?WithTerm=ground%20beef

that's and awsome website, you can type in any meat or anything and you will get recipes for it.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 9:13 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Well, you still want to cook healthy and not just go for a bunch of canned foods and processed meats that are high in sodium and preservatives. If you are interested in easy, inexpensive, homecooked meals, send me a message and I'll send you my recipes for things like homemade chicken noodle soup, roasted chicken and vegetables, turkey meatloaf, roasted turkey tenderloins, ham bean soup, turkey chili, and homemade burritos. They're all easy, fairly inexpensive, and healthy. And very very tasty! Oh and stuffed bell peppers too those are always good.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Also, if you want, i can send you a list of the grocery staples I buy to make each meal, and what seasonings you will need to buy and all that.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:32 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Go to your local library, and check out a couple of kids cookbooks. My favorite is called Pretend Soup; Rachel Ray has a pretty good one, too. After you have mastered the basics, then go back to the library and get a couple of regular cookbooks. The Saving Dinner series by Leanne Ely (one of the Fly Ladies) has great, healthy, simple recipes. I have a bunch of simple, inexpensive, healthy recipes; send me a message offlist if you would like some recipes. And here are my best tips for saving money at the grocery store: http://www.ehow.com/how_5223945_save-even-money-grocery-store.html 

Answer by rkoloms at 6:29 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Congratulations! Hope all goes well. As far as making your budget go farther I would still use some prepared meals for ease of preparation and if they are a good buy and use them as a side dish say to grilled chicken, a burger, etc. The supermarkets have sales on various meats all the time and you can save that way too. Also, you need to take into consideration what appeals to you and those you will be cooking for. One year olds don't eat everything yet since their palates for food are not developed yet.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 10:33 AM on Nov. 9, 2009