my 4 year old daughter has a bad cough and i feel like i have tried everything to get rid of it and trying not to give her liquid cough meds cause doctor recommends to not give it. so does anyone have any suggestions?

dani263

Asked by dani263 at 7:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Not that it is your daughter's case, but when my son had a bad cough that wouldn't go away the doctor diagnosed asthma.

For general coughs I mixed a little honey with lemon juice and gave the children about a half teaspoon of that. It soothed as well as helped break up the mucous.

Answer by Bmat at 7:46 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• The biggest thing is to determine what kind of cough it is. Is she bringing up sputum with it? Does it sound wet? Barky and dry? Does she have a really runny nose and the cough is from drainage. The productive cough, if more than 3 days needs to see a Dr. Guaifenesin liquid will help thin secretions and make them easier to expectorate.The drippy nose cough Children sudafed does a great job helping to slow that drip and relief from the cough. The barky cough can be because of allergies, asthma, bronchitis, croup...it really is the trickiest one to me. If the barky cough also has a fever Dr. If they are wheezing..or just struggling to get a deep breath have them seen.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:49 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• One thing that gets overlooked alot is to have your child sleep atleast semi-sitting up....Not sure how it works but when my daughter has breathing problems I prop her up with a couple of pillows and it seems give her at least a little comfort.
    youlookin4me

Answer by youlookin4me at 7:56 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Try sitting in the bathroom on the floor while the hot shower runs. The steam will greatly help her.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 8:01 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• So sorry to hear about your precious daughter. I would try a vaporizer or humidifier.  If she has a fever, I would suggest you try another physician may your Urgent Care Station under your health plan.  See if they would do a Swine flu swab.  Seems like it's going around and many physicians are not testing for it.  If she is positive see if they would give her Antiviral medication e.g. Tamiflu or an inhaler.  Or you can go to a local nutrition store.  There are other Antiviral meds out  there but they are through your nutrition store like GNC or Lindbergs. Give her LOTS of clear liquids. Also Lemons Tea, Juice and Grapfruit  juice are Antiviral.  Best wishes to you!!!!

JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 9:56 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Try having her put a pillow under her back and NO pillow under her head. Basically her stomach/chest area will be higher than her head. This will help the drainage from trickling down her throat and causing that tickle that makes her want to cough. I used to cough ALL night long when I was a kid. Used to drive my mom nuts. Doc told her it was post nasal drip. The pillow thing helped alot and I still do it to this day if I get a cold. He also said lots of water would help to keep the mucus thinned out. Good luck.
    Carista

Answer by Carista at 11:12 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• If the cough is nasal drainage you can use a nettie pot. it is at a drug store and comes with packs you mix with water. Cleans the nasal passages, and dries up the secretions. No cough medicine and highly effective. That nasal drip that causes coughing is really irritating. Good Luck and hope your child feels better soon.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 12:04 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• If you are looking for a natural approach, go to a nutritional store and pick up some Larix. Works wonders for any age (newborn on up) and works within 20 minutes. Good luck!
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 12:39 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Make a syrup with equal part honey (anti-bacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory).

Also give her elderberry syrup (anti-viral). The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.

Give her peppermint (a natural decongestant) tea.

Most important, keep her well hydrated.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:53 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I teaspoon of honey will soothe & ease the cough. There is nothing wrong with giving straight cough syrup like Robitussin or Delsym. The problems occur when it is a combination medicine cough, fever, decongestant because it is easy to overdose or over drug your child with medicines they don't need.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:13 AM on Nov. 9, 2009