When should I introduce solids?

What is the age to introduce solids to a baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 6 months is the recommended age to start.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Many books say when your baby has doubled his/her birth weight. Most start 4-6 months; mine didn't start until later.
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 8:29 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Between 6-12 months.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:32 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 10:41 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• i've read that you should wait until the baby can sit up on their own and than you start introducing a little bit at a time, but my mom went behind my back and starting giving my oldest Cambodian food from 4 months up. sigh, she never listens to me though
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 11:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• When they start reaching for you food and showing interest in meal times. Some kids start at 4-6 months and there are others that don't start until around a year. The later you start the less chance your infant has of creating allergies. Also starting with foods that are fist sized that they can hold and put in their mouths without choking or actually eating is really great. They are not really eating but they can play and chew as to be involved in meal times but learn really awesome skills for eating solids when the time is right.
    zoozleroo

Answer by zoozleroo at 12:13 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I started feeding my son solids a week before he was 4 months old. He's a big guy and was expressing a lot of interest in solids, plus my mom had already given him some (behind my back of course) and he seemed to handle them fine. I just started out giving him rice cereal for a few weeks. Then I slowly added in really watered down veggies and fruits- completely plain.
    KingKai0517

Answer by KingKai0517 at 12:53 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I've always been told six months, but I didn't start my son on table foods until he was 11 months.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:20 PM on Nov. 9, 2009