If you have kids close in age

do they play with other kids or mainly just each other? I have b/g twins and they do have playdates with their classmates at times but they never play with other kids in the neighborhood and they play with each other for the most part at recess. Just wondering for those who have kids less than 4 years apart, are they the same way?

LadyEb

Asked by LadyEb at 7:55 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Growing up my brother and I were 11 months apart, my cousins were the exact same ages, we lived next door. So, mostly it was always the four of us. My kids were four years apart and they only played together at home.
    Anonymous

• My boys are 2 yrs apart. They don't play together at school only b/c they are different grades and not able to play together, but they do go to breakfast together, with a little friend of theirs. At home, they do play together, and pretty much only with each other, yes. However, we live out in the country, and there's only one other kid near their age in the neighborhood, and I don't like him, he's rude, disrespectful and his mother never knows where he is or what he's doing, so they don't get to play with him. I've thought about setting up playdates with some of their friends, but we all live in the country so someone would always end up having to drive quite a distance for it, and I'm not sure they'd go for it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:39 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• My kids are 5, 3.5, 2 and 8 weeks. While they do enjoy playing with each other they will play with other kids when they're around. They love to play with their cousins when we visit family and they love playing with their friends at church.
    _Momof3_

Answer by _Momof3_ at 10:41 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• my older two are 16mos apart ages 5 and 6 now. My daughter the 5 yr old would prefer to just play with the 6 yr old and is just now starting to really try to play with other girls but my son will play with most anyone!
    Anonymous

• I have two boys 18 months apart and they play most of the time together but not at recess. At home, they play so well, I try to avoid play dates but that's cause I don't like them.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:13 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Mine are 9, 8 and 7 and they do tend to stick with each other in unfamiliar places. But in the neighborhood...they all have their own friends. Of course their friends are all friends with each other so they also play with each other, lol. They are one big group of kids ranging in age from 2 up to 12, both boys and girls.
    They are in different grades at school so have their own friends but they don't really see those kids outside of school. We don't do playdates and they just play with the kids that live on our block and each other.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:20 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• we, I have a 11 and a 13 year old and they only play together at home.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 3:48 PM on Nov. 9, 2009