Why is it that school budgets are getting cut, but prisons have all kinds of money?

It pisses me off that kids are being shoved in classrooms of 1 teacher and 30 kids when it used to be 15-20 per teacher and now their cutting PE and other extra curricular activities because we can't afford it. WTH we can afford for prisoners to have tv's, video games, gyms, cells with beds, sinks, toilets and electricity. What is wrong with making a prison a prison with 2x2 cells, no beds, a hole to piss in and small rations. Maybe then our country would be safer. Heck no. we have to make prison a luxury for what would otherwise be low lifes who can't find jobs or homes and then they commit more crimes to go back to prision because at least then they'd have a warm place to live with food to eat. I just don't get the justice system. Sorry my friend got me started when she showed me a utube video of a baby that was beaten and raped and then her parents only got 18 years in prison! My co-workers and I got on this topic.

britni11

Asked by britni11 at 8:09 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• AMEN, Sister!!! I'm sick and tired of criminals getting better use of my tax dollar than my kids. There's not enough money to educate the kids and people wonder why are prisons our getting so full. A bit ironic, I'd say!

Our tax dollars pay for criminals to further their education, even get degrees! On top of room and board. Somehow, that just seems WAY backwards to me!!!!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 8:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• i heard a tale (that I hope was true) about a sheriff in Arizona I think who turned the jail into a series of tents, made the in-mates wear neon pink jump suits, fed them only bologna sandwiches at lunch and dinner, and cut the heating and AC bills to nothing, and the rate of repeat offenders is like zero.

Tents! In the desert!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:17 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Ok, first of all, you want to stay away from anything with baby and rape in the same sentence. You'll stay sane far longer.

Secondly, the plumbing is a necessity. Proper disposal of human waste is necessary to control disease. Because there would be guards taking it back to the general population. The disease that is.
    Other than that eff em!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:20 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

Sherriff Joe Arpaio..Maricopa Co, Arizona~ I met him at a fundraiser in Phoenix. He ROCKS!

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Schools are funded by your local property taxes.(School tax) The more you pay the more you have.
    Prisons are funded by the state.
    Anonymous

• Many prisons are privately for profit now a days
    Anonymous

• I'm with you OP
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 9:23 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Answered at 5:17 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 by: ecodani
    i heard a tale (that I hope was true) about a sheriff in Arizona I think who turned the jail into a series of tents, made the in-mates wear neon pink jump suits, fed them only bologna sandwiches at lunch and dinner, and cut the heating and AC bills to nothing, and the rate of repeat offenders is like zero.

Tents! In the desert!

This is Sheriff Joe, He's the greatest man alive in America today. We need one in EVERY state just like him!

That said, my DH is a correctional officer in one of the hardest time prisons in this state and as he says, the damn inmates got more rights than you or I or any other law-abiding, free person. What is needed is less bleeding-heart liberal lawmakers giving them more and more to make their lives comfortable, while we pay more and more for it with our rising taxes.
    Anonymous

• I agree that is pretty outrageous! I don't have kids in school yet, but if things continue the way they are going, I'm predicting a bleak future for our next generations.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:39 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Prisons have alot of money? Many states are releasing prisoners early because they cannot afford to keep them. Look it up. Perhaps the luxuries you mentioned were purchased in more "fruitful" days.

As to this question :What is wrong with making a prison a prison with 2x2 cells, no beds, a hole to piss in and small rations?

Cruel and unusual punishment-Eighth Amendment of the US constitution.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 10:57 PM on Nov. 8, 2009