Switching from bottle to REAL cup?

My 13 month old son isn't doing too well with a sippy cup, to say the least. We introduced it early, but he still doesn't take to them very well.
ANYONE out there who has gone from bottle to a REAL cup? He loves to drink out of our glasses/cups, and we are considering letting him learn how to use one and skipping the sippy altogether. Any tips, other than 'get ready for a wet floor?' Thanks, moms!

mevxoxo

Asked by mevxoxo at 8:28 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kids never had sippy cups. They went straight to our regular glasses starting at 6 months. Drove my mom crazy. But, all four of them prefered regular glassware over sippies.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 8:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• have u tried the sippy cups with a nipple like sppout? or even try leting him pick out his own cup at the store
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• My children also went right from bottle to regular cup.

Answer by Bmat at 8:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Thanks moms - but how did you go from bottle/breast to regular cup? with water first? outside? a little amount at first? did you hold it, or let baby hold the cup?
    I've tried letting him pick out the cup, cups with soft spouts, hard spouts, silicone spouts, straws... He'll take a couple sips, but that's about it. Or he throws it. Lol.
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 8:36 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Hey, we started early with cups, and we taught our kids using shot glasses. I didn't go from bottles to cups, so I don't know if it'll help you any!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:40 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I BFd all mine. And, I just put a little bit of breast milk in a regular cup. Just enough to wet their whistle without spilling it. And, if they spilt, there wasn't enough to make a big mess. Then just kept adding more as they wanted it. They all got the hang of it pretty quickly.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 8:40 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• My son uses a cup with a straw. He has been doing really well with that since he was about 9 months. have you tried those? they make some really neat no spill straw cups too. He has never had a bottle so he never got the hang of tipping a cup to drink from it.
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 8:47 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Cups with straws are definitely a great alternative but if you do find that he's better with a cup, I'd recommend using the small, plastic dixie cups and give him just a sip at a time. You'll also have to institute the "only drink at the table rule" until he really gets the hang of it. As far as what you put in it, I'd stick to milk and water. Good luck!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:58 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• We used born free sippy cups until he started chewing the spouts, and then he wouldnt take the hard spout but after a few days he did fine with it. We did straw cups but they are so hard to clean
    Renni

Answer by Renni at 9:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• We use cups with straws and my kids love them!! I never give them more than a cup that is half full so it reduces spills.
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 9:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2009