How to handle cleaning lady who made long distance phone calls?

I just got our phone bill and there are over $30 worth of long distance phone calls to numbers I don't recognize. Based on the date and times, I am 100% sure our cleaning lady, that comes once a week, made these.

What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• Ask her to pay for the calls and refrain from making them in the future if she wants to keep her job.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 8:59 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I would ask her to pay and if she doesn't either take it out of her check or call the police
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 9:00 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Ask her if she did it or not, if she say's no call the number and see who the person is on the other line, and then go from there, but if she did do it take it out of her pay
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 9:06 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I agree with benjamink and Mikayla lynn
    Anonymous

• I gotta say the other replies are much nicer....my first reaction is..."you're fired!" To me if she feels it's ok to use your phone without permission then what else is she doing that you don't know about?
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 10:23 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Take the money out of her pay.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:06 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Okay, I was thinking, what if she brought a kid with her or a helper. They could have made the calls without her knowledge. However, I still would withhold the money from her pay!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:08 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• First, call the number and ask them who is calling them from your number. If it is her or someone with her ask her why she is bringing someone else into your home. If she is the one making the call, then ask her for the money.

I was a cleaner at an office and always paid if I needed to make a long distance phone call.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:50 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• i like the idea of calling the number, if it Is her calls, then tell her that she will have to pay you back for them. ask if she can call the numbers anywhere else, and do you pay her by the hour or by the job, if you pay her by the hour i would have a bigger issue with her spending that time on the phone.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:19 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• First, I wouldn't be able to talk to the people who answered the phone because I don't speak their lanquage. Second, there is no need to call because there was no one else in the house at that time, on that day, to make the calls..........it had to be her. And I'm not talking about one or two calls...........there was one day that she made 11 calls.

Yes, I do pay by the hour, and that upsets me too. I was taking her at her word that she was working four full hours. Granted, she could have been making allowances for spending time on the phone, I don't know what time she gets there or what time she leaves. Again, I was trusting her to be honest.

There is a language barrier so it is going to be difficult to talk to her about this. I will probably just leave a note saying "Please don't make long distance phone calls." If it happens again I will just fire her.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Nov. 9, 2009