What do you do if your child wont eat?

I have a nephew that is 14 months old, I have been staying with them for two weeks and I am still going to be here, I have notice that he is a very hard eater, everytime something new either to the taste or to the look he makes such a tantrum and he wont eat. We have tried to just let him go and at dinner give him the same plate again, and he wont eat. At the next day we did the same thing, and believe it or not, he didn't eat.
Any other advice to make him eat?. In this case it isn't really something that he hasn't eat before. It is just a normal chicken broth with vegetables.

Any ideas will be great to try, thank you.

If it works it has happend before with the egg, and rice, that it can pass even 2 days and he wont eat.
Do you think is bad to let him go that long?

annetemm

Asked by annetemm at 9:23 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd talk to his doctor. My little boy has eating issues and sees a therapist weekly to help him..., not that your son needs that, but you need to mention it to the dr just to have them look him over and make sure there's not something else going on....
    Anonymous

• Kids typically have a hard time adjusting to new sensations or textures when introducing new foods. Just an FYI... so they tend to refuse to eat it and need to be forced to try it. If he's going 2 days straight not taking in any foods at all I'd talk to the Doctor or a nutrionist someone who can help you with eating issues
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 9:27 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• i used to buy these graduates you get in the baby section at your grocery store. Its like dried apples. they have bannanas. i even think they have peas or something like that. and let them eat those and eventually he wil grow out of that stage. try and introduce new foods but i would do some finger foods that you know he would like and put the new food plus maybe like chicken nuggets are something with my son i would put the nuggets to the side and tell him to take 3 bites of the green beas or what ever was there i wanted him to eat and after he did it i gave him the nuggets.
    shorty00207450

Answer by shorty00207450 at 9:28 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• ohh another thing is as soon as my son would try the new food he seemed to like it and would eat it again even with out me telling him to and without chicken nuggets
    shorty00207450

Answer by shorty00207450 at 9:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Oh if it is worth to mention our problem is mainly at dinner time, because his breakfast has been without any problem. He has eaten very good at that time, but now for 2 days in a row, no chicken broth at all.
    annetemm

Answer by annetemm at 9:31 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• So it's actually just 2 days of no chicken broth?! Well, he probably just doesn't want it again. Kids can be finiky that way.. I thought it was 2 days of not eating, period.
    Anonymous

• All I know is kids wont starve themselves. If they are hungry they will eat. My kids go thru these food-jags and it is annoying but I know I cant force them to eat. Just keep putting it out for him and he will take it when he wants :)
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 9:48 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Actually some kids WILL starve themselves if they have problems in the GI tract. Lots of parents think their kid is just being stubborn or picky, but if they have a problem in the esophagus or stomach, it can reduce their desire to eat greatly. My son was literally starving himself, never acted hungry, because his esophagus was being torn up by food allergies that we didn't know about. It is becoming very common. Their little bodies tell them not to eat and over time the will to eat just disappears. It's sad.

"All I know is kids wont starve themselves. If they are hungry they will eat"
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 10:03 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• These things come and go, very normal. Dinner is the typical meal that don't like or don't want to eat. As long as he is eating other meals and getting good nutrition I would try to get him to eat like two bites and then drop it. Sometimes I even go through the trouble of making him something that I know he likes and then he just picks at it. I think sometimes they're just really not that hungry.
    Anonymous

• My son is about that age and if he doesn't want to eat his dinner I feed him a few bites of it just to see if he actually doesn't like it or if he isn't hungry if he's not hungry he'll keep his mouth closed and hit the fork but if he's hungry he'll open his mouth and at least taste it. Most the time he ends up liking what ever it was that was new and eating enough to satisfy me that he sin't going to starve to death but on the days he doesn't eat anything or is to stubborn to eat anything just because one thing on the plate is different I let him down and give him some bread and butter with a glass of milk before bed so I know he isn't hungry and that's all. That probably sounds mean to others but he isn't starving and it happens only very rarely because he knows if he doesn't eat dinner it is bread and butter with milk and away to bed with no desert on the weekends (which is the only times we have desert.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Nov. 9, 2009