Friends at school

My daughter says that she has no friends at school and has nobody to play with at recess. She is in kindergarten. I've told her to ask the kids she wants to play with if she can play too...she says she does...and then they run away from her. I have seen her on occasion at recess and I know that she does play with other kids and I have asked her teacher and she says she is very social, which I agree. I don't want to make a huge deal of it but I don't want to blow it off either. How can I help boost her confidence and help her to make new friends? Or is this just out of my hands? So much drama...!!

khedy

Asked by khedy at 10:27 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It seems like she does have friends at school, so I would let it go. You can't force her to make friends or for kids to be her friends. It is hard to see that our kids don't have a lot of friends but, it really isn't about how many friends you have but about how good those friends are. I have never had many friends but the ones that I do are awesome.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:56 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• friends are overrated anyway
    Anonymous

• Can you have lunch with her one time and then follow her to recess and observe what is going on? Or ask to sit in class one day to see her interact with the other kids/girls? You might be able to approach her while she's on a project in a group and quickly find similarities between her and another little girl and you could point them out right away. Sometimes it's just a little push in the right direction. Like "Look, she has on a Barbie shirt too!" or something along those lines. My son is the same way a bit but I've seen him in class and he totally seems to get along with kids. At recess he plays basketball (kindergarten too) but he chooses to do so, so he's alone. It's tough.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:11 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I understand as a mom you would like your daughter to have as many friends as she likes. but hey, guess what she's lucky she has as many as she has now.Right? Unless she's not happy with those girls. Don't worry about it friends will come before she knows it.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:04 PM on Nov. 9, 2009