Please is there anything that I can do?

My daughter is 6ths old, however she was a premiee (31 weeker) so developmentally she is only 4 months old. She had a RSV vaccine on last tuesday. I believe she caught a small cold at the peds office. She has been sneezing and coughing ever since thursday pm. I have been treating her low grade temp with tylenol. I have a cool mist humitifer running 24/7 and have been swabbing her nose with saline. I have been applying vicks baby rub on her chest. So I cant think of anything else. So my question is................I have given bath and night bottle and I get her to sleep and then she wakes her self up coughing. Is there anything I can do for her coughing??

momtopreemie521

Asked by momtopreemie521 at 10:49 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Alternate between tylenol and motrin, don't just do tylenol.
    I hope your baby feels better. I'd take her back to the Dr just to be sure it's only a cold!
    KrhMsh

Answer by KrhMsh at 11:02 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I bought motrin (because it last 6-8hrs) BUT.....the motrin says its for infants over 6 months. So I was hestitant about giving it to her.
    momtopreemie521

Answer by momtopreemie521 at 11:25 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Nope, the motrin or tylonol will not help the cough but will help them be more comfortable. While she is sleeping you could support her in a boppy or some kind of pillow so that they don't lie flat to allow the mucus to drain back into her chest or throat.
    zoozleroo

Answer by zoozleroo at 12:10 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• my 5 and a hlf month old son just had a cold with a cough & i eventually took him to the DR and the DR gave us a medicine and hes starting to get better now.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:10 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Have you tried propping up her crib mattress? Put a pillow UNDER the mattress at one end to make it inclined. That way the drainage doesn't go down the wrong way. Make sure she is getting plenty of fluids (bottles) so the drainage doesn't get too thick.

When my babies got a cough, I usually ended up sleeping with them on my chest on the couch so they were propped up. It seemed to help a lot. They tend to sleep better next to me anyway.

Don't give motrin just yet. It is metabolized differently that tylenol and can harm her. Wait until the doc gives you the okay to do so.
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 12:49 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• You can also sit in the bathroom with the door shut and shower running. Just the hot water on to let the steam fill the room.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2009