thoughts, PLEASE? nurse line was a snotty witch

son, five, has a lump. location: under ear, like on jawline. it's on top of that big fat neck muscle. it's almost perfectly round like a button. hard as a rock, not really wiggly, only hurts when poked hard. approx size/thickness of say a peanut M&M?

I called nurseline to decide whether it was calm down and goto normal doctor in the morning or freak out and goto ER important. she was neither friendly nor helpful.

A lump on my babies neck is not something I am ok waiting out or waiting to see what happens. I will know what it is by this time tomorrow come hell or high water.

thoughts, ideas, etc? if it's a lymph node is that bad or good?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 11:03 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It sounds like a swollen gland. It could be from an infection, or he could just be prone to them. It seems like I had them continually as a child. I had eczema and it would especially break out on the backs of my ear. The Dr. said it was probably that. Nothing serious. It would hurt from time to time, but nothing bad.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Sounds like swollen lymph node.
    Any runny nose, couch or sore throat youve noticed?
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 11:08 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Could it be a swollen gland? I guess I'm not picturing the location properly. My daughter had a lump of that description but it was on the back of her head near her neck. The doctor on call said to take her in. They tend to over react with my daughter because she is diabetic. Anyway, it turned out to be folliculitis which is an infection of a hair follicle, antibiotic and it was gone. I'm not saying this is what yours is.

I always say go with your gut and if you will not sleep without going the the er then go. However, if it were me and it weren't bothering my child, I'd wait til morning. A trip to the er can be pretty traumatizing for kids not to mention all the flu people that are there right now would make me want to steer clear if possible.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 11:08 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I think it's something that can wait until you see your pediatrian tomorrow... as long as it's not red, hot and he doesn't have a fever.
    I think it could be a lymph node... sometimes it means nothing other than sometimes they can get swollen with infection (sometimes just viral infections) but other times they can be a sign of something else going on... so for sure have it looked at.
    I don't think you need to go to an ER
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:08 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• It sounds like something the ER doctor will tell you to just follow up with the pediatrician in the morning about. As a pp said with all the stuff going on right now I would try to steer clear of the ER.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:13 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I agree w/ goaliemom, unless you're at a children's hospital, it's almost better to wait to see the specialist. ER just takes care of emergent stuff and would likely refer you back to your Ped. I find our nurse line gives the opposite advice of the actual doctors (time for them to get on the same page I would say).
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:34 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Does his ear hurt or his throat? Does he have a fever?
    RELAX. Swollen lymph nodes mean the immune system is doing it's job. It is trapping the infection.
    If he has alarming symptoms take him in to the ER. But just for the lump, he can wait till the morning. Google strep throat, mumps and otitis
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Nov. 10, 2009