The good old days....

Things seem to be soo much different than they use to be, say back in the 40s & 50s ... Moral wise is what I am talking about. Do you think things were really "nicer" back then....such as things like -- soo many people being dead-beat dads and baby mams...and so much gang violence, etc. Or is it just that people didnt really talk about it back then ?

glamomomo

Asked by glamomomo at 11:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No you are correct. People were raised properly back then with strict discipline and a serious work ethic. You worked for whatever you needed. No freebies. No government hand outs. People had serious dignity back then. Children were taught manners and respect and they weren't pampered and sissified like children nowadays. Sad... but true.
    Anonymous

• People were raised completely differently, and there were different things going on in the world back then. I'm sure there were still bad things going on, like gangs and such, but it wasn't something that was talked about. Mental illness, for example, wasn't a suitable topic for everyday conversation. Now many people go to therapy, get the medication they need, and go to support groups. Pregnant teenagers got shipped off to live with their "aunt in another state" and came back looking a little fuller, etc. Things were swept under the rug a lot more back then.
    Anonymous

• hey im still trying to teach my kids respect towards her elders and her parents (me and husband) now i dont know why she doesnt listen to us now. Maybe the kids back then where different. im not about to go beat my kids like they did back then. Maybe that is why they listened. People didnt talk about things back then. They didnt say they where a druggie (Celebs) they just went straight to rehab and pretended that they went on vacation so the world didnt know. yes there was violance, there was beatings, racism, murders etc.
    Anonymous

• Maybe that is the answer... people didn't talk about it back then. The media almost glorifes these things now. A celeb has a drug prob??? lets stalk them until they crack and talk about it all day on the news! Crazy.
    mdarrow1

Answer by mdarrow1 at 12:01 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I suspect some of both. There was much less media back then so people didn't know a lot of what went on.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:06 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Im sure it wasnt as "good" as it seemed but it wasnt talked about as much either. It was hush hush, nobody was in everybody's business and felt they should be there.

Nowadays everything is out there for all to see and everyone thinks they should be in everyone elses business,etc.

Thats how I see it(in a general sense anyway).
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:07 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I agree with the first Anon.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:52 AM on Nov. 9, 2009