hand sanitizer at dr's office

my mom suggested that my kids got their (current, most recent) colds because i used it on them SO many times.
I generally carry my own hand sanitizer w/ me... that day I did not. So I slathered them up a bunch of times.... using my own hands, touching the (filthy?) communal bottle over and over again

reality? or my mom being a biatch?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 11:21 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Hand sanitizing or hand washing - it's all the same, and a great line of defence for keeping things from spreading. But what we can't prevent as easily are the air borne particles we breath in when around infected individuals. Hand sanitizing or hand washing is not going to be the cause if your kids getting sick, not doing could contribute. Mom needs to do some research!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• i don't call other people's moms names so.......

I don't think your kids got colds from you touching the communal hand sanitizer. I think they got colds because a lot of people don't touch the communal hand sanitizer and cough and sneeze without covering their mouths.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 11:22 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• people catch colds because of a virus, so even if your talking to them and a bit of spit lands in their mouth they can catch it, or if you cough the virus can travel several feet. most people get colds from others when they are in the first couple days of having it. after that i dont think its contagious.
    Anonymous

• We often get sick after a doctor office visit. I think it's just the rooms with one sick kid after another and also the overuse of hand sanitizer that I do. That is my fault. This year, I am trying to be a little more laid back about the sanitizer. I don't know....
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:31 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• We don't use hand sanitizer and we don't get sick. I can't offer anymore help than that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Lots of kids get sick from ingesting the hand sanitizer. Doctor's offices have bathrooms with soap and water - much more effective than hand sanitizer.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:19 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• According to the CDC hand sanitizer and hand washing are equally as effective unless for a specific virus (C diff, for which washing with soap/water is more effective) . I'm guessing that your kids picked it up and touched their noses or mouths before you could sanitize the germs away. With the threat of rampant H1N1 going on, I think you're smart to use the sanitizer. I use it too.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 8:25 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Well using sanitizer too often can cause problems... your body needs a certain amount of good bacteria to keep the bad bacteria from getting in... and every time you use a sanatizer you kill all of the bateria, good and bad. So she is right about that using it too often can actually more you more likely to become sick. So make sure you use it only when needed.
    But if you were at the clinic recently and a few days later became sick... it was probably because of the clinic visit itself... not the use of sanatizer. Using sanitizer at the clinic is a SMART move... it's a germ paradise there!
    I'm not much of a germaphobe... but I never let my son touch anything at the clinic and always wash our hands while we are there
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:42 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Yeah, rkoloms...so many kids go around eating the stuff. The few cases of kids getting poisoned from it was due to lack of supervision. Quit trying to make hand sanitizer out to be this evil thing.

Do I think the kids got sick because of the communal bottle? No. Do I think hand sanitizer is going to stop anyone from getting sick ever? No. Does it help cut down on it, sure...some. Nothing you do, outside of putting the kids in a bubble, is going to stop them from getting sick.

My kids were in on a Friday, my oldest was down with the flu on Monday. He got it from school, not the doctor's office.
    Anonymous