whats a birth plan

i was reading what to expect when expected and it said something about a birth plan what all do i need to write down and do i need to give it to the docter b4 i go to the H or do i need to give it to them when i get there thank you for your time

brittanymomma

Asked by brittanymomma at 11:22 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Definitions of birth plan

A written description of what the expectant parents would like to include and what they'd like to avoid for labor and the birth of their child ...
     A written statement outlining an individual woman's or family's wishes about the birth of their baby. ...
     A written set of directives created by expectant parents that expresses how they'd like labor to be managed. ...
    A written outline of a woman’s preferences for her labour and birthThe birth plan is a written list of your preferences to be used as a guide for how you would like your labor and delivery to go. As labor can be unpredictable, you may need to deviate from this plan at times during labor.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 11:38 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I didn't have a birth plan, I just went with the flow and if I had questions and concerns I just asked the Dr. at my appt.
    Good luck
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 11:39 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• A birth plan is a way of letting your nurses and doctor know how you would like to be treated, assuming that you and your baby are safe and healthy. Most women specify their preferences regarding IV's, medication during labor, AROM, episiotomies, and other common procedures and interventions. Often, they also include any important notes regarding treatment of their babies right after birth.
    Different practices handle birth plans in different ways. At mine, we started talking about the plan at my 36 week appointment. Once my midwife and I were satisfied, she signed it and put a copy into my record. After I pre registered at the hospital, my entire prenatal file was sent to the hospital, including the signed birth plan. But I also had several extra copies to give to nurses and my husband at the hospital.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 11:40 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• It's for things like whether you want drugs or not, if you're ok with being induced, etc. There are tons online that guide you through it and then you can just print them off. I'd print about 5 copies (1 for you, 1 for your doc or midwife, 1 for the nurses, etc.). Here are two links to help you get started.

One

Two

Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• if you do decided on using one, make sure you have a strong minded person in the room with you. my coach left everything up to me and i had a bad labor.. so it ended up not being the way i wanted it to go
    t_creanskisa

Answer by t_creanskisa at 11:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• there are forms online that you can print and fill out, you can give it to them when you go into the hospital or when you register, which is better. I never did one, i just told them what i wanted and they complied.
    Anonymous

• I think it's very important to communicate your preferences. When in labor, a mom is vulnerable and having a pre-established description helps communication. Having very good support is very important , too! You might make some choices and plan to communicate via that paper, but having your "Enforcer" will be good, too.
    Even if you are planning on having interventions, it's nice to use the opportunity to learn about the MANY options you have while preparing the Birth Plan.
    (*It can also be helpful to have documented your preferences in the event that your wishes are NOT honored. ...Not that you are planning any law suits now!)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:49 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• A birth plan is a tool for the parents to use to get educated about the things that are done at the hospital, what constitutes a true emergency, what interventions you are okay with and why, etc. If you plan on bringing an actual plan to your birth, it needs to be short and to the point. If you plan on just "going with the flow" and letting your doctor make all decions about your labor, birth, postpartum care, and infant care, then there is no need for a birth plan. Check out the group, "Natural Pregnancy and Childbirth" and under the "References" section there is a post called "Everything You Need To Know About Birth Plans." Be sure to scroll down all the way, there is a lot of info in that post.
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:26 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• All of the above accurately describe a birth plan. I had one and my doc said he doesn't follow them because and this is very good reasoning "situations arise where different actions are required ie fetal distress and some things listed on the birth plan may be against the policies of the hospital" so if you are going to use a BP write it in advance and go over it w/ your doc to make sure that it is in accordance with hospital policy.
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 1:52 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• bjw, maybe your doctor doesn't really understand what a birth plan really is, it's possible. OR, maybe he doesn't want to lose control of management.

Usually in her BP, a mom is simply stating her preferences from the reasonable existing options.
    Of course, BPs should be discussed prior to labor. But a doctor that says they "don't use them" is either not understanding what one is or declaring he is the boss of labor. (not a great sign.)

Hopefully a birth plan will refer to Plan B, Plan C. But it's simply an expression of preference.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:07 AM on Nov. 9, 2009