parents of kids w/ croup, asthma, etc...

My son, when having a flare up, will wheeze terribly when he cries and gets upset. so we've found that when he is sick, the whole family babies him and coddles him and moves heaven and earth to prevent him from crying. I worry he'll learn to manipulate this as he ages. Anyone else experience anything like this?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 11:23 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My son is 3,and was diagnoised with asthma before he was 1,he's on nebulizer treatments,pulmicort twice a day everyday to try and prevent him from getting sick and having attacks,then albuterol as needed! He also takes singular orally every evening. I also grew up with asthma,and not being able to breathe is SCARY no matter how old you are,its even worse as a child when you don't understand whats going on! I let my son be a normal 3 year old,but I do watch him closely and keep his inhaler and nebulizer on hand incase of an emergency. Like other replies have said its hard to "fake" a real asthma attack,kids need reassurance from their parents during attacks,and its really important for you to stay CALM,if your child senses that youre scared there just going to get more worked up. My son also has croup,bronchitis,and pnemonia frequently and I baby him do to the fact that its hard on kids being sick anytime,&asthmas worst!
    dakotasmommy06

Answer by dakotasmommy06 at 7:25 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Is he on albuterol (a puffer)? That has fixed the problem for us and so no more tears. It's true, the catering can lead to manipulation. We got our son allergy tested and on albuterol for flareups that occur during the cold/flu season. Turns out he has no allergies and the doc thinks he'll outgrow the wheezing.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• My son had croup and strider once and it was horrible, so I feel your pain! I would talk to a doctor (allergist, maybe?) and see if he can get the albuterol that Jeanclaudia said....or a nebulizer (breathing treatment) would probably help him so that maybe it wouldn't happen as often!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:36 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• My oldest and youngest used to get croup all the time. All three of my kids have asthma.

Yes, I would coddle them when they were younger because they didn't understand what was going on. They were scared.

Now (they're 5, 4 and 3) we tell them to calm down, and we will sit with them until they do...but not so much coddling. IT's more just hold them a bit and explain..."This is why you need to calm down, honey. You need to slow down and breathe or we can't do anything to help you..." And they're starting to understand what they need to do to help themselves until we can get their medication if it's needed.

Oh, and if he has asthma...you will learn quickly how to tell the difference between the real thing and him trying to fake an attack.

Croup is an illness. The croup cough is hard to fake so it will be hard to manipulate that. And albuterol is not given for croup. Croup is in the throat, not the lungs.
    Anonymous

• i understand my son is six yrs old and is a terible asthmatic but has slowly grown out of it so its not a bad as it use to be but yes when he gets upset this can set him off but he is old enough to understand that it does this to him and so he try's really hard to calm himself down but until your child reaches this stage where they can cuddly them as much as you can because i would rather have a child maniupulating me then one that ends up sruggling to breath because of it another thing we have done is get him the flu vaccination and it has helped in those winter month.
    tumtum360

Answer by tumtum360 at 5:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My son was diagnosed with asthma at 5 months and has been on a nebulizer daily ever since (he is 5 now) on healthy days he is just on it 2 times a day with his preventative but on flare ups he might need it as often as every 2 hours. My son asperates his fluids so he gets asperation pnemonia every 4-6 weeks so he is pretty much nebulizer dependent.

We NEVER catered to him! We allow him to be a NORMAL CHILD! He plays sports (although is often sitting on the sideline because of his asthma) he runs around in the dirt and he goes swimming in the summer. There is NO REASON to baby a child just becuase of asthma.

My son has asthma, asthma does not have my son:)
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:54 AM on Nov. 10, 2009