when did u toss your last sippy cup?

they come in handy even after they're not age appropriate for road trips, sick kids, etc...... how old was your kiddo when u ditched your last one?

My kids are 5 and 3. They have one each for sicknesses, movie night, and occasional long car trips if I'm out of bottled water.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 11:27 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I do pretty much the same thing. we stopped using them completely around 18 months because her school was encouraging the kids not to use them. I kept them around for the things you mentioned , however just recently I tried to give her one and she looked at me like I was crazy, and said "what is this for? I'm not a baby!" so I guess your child will help you and let you know when it's time.
    kidomom

Answer by kidomom at 2:02 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• my son is 3.5 and still has sippys...the insulated ones that look more like water bottles but dont spill...i havent thought much of it because i dont trust him to walk around the house with a regular cup unless it's just water or he's sitting at the kitchen table...i suppose soon because he's not going to go to kindergarten with a sippy!!
    acounard

Answer by acounard at 11:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I completely threw sippys out when my son was 2 1/2. He is only allowed to have his drink at the table( I always keep fresh water out for him at the table) so he does not walk around with a cup in his hand.
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 2:53 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• my kids both have them and they are 2 and 4, they can totally drink out of regular cups and have access to those as well. We live in military housing and the house we had moved into (just moved out of) had super light carpeting and i wanted to prevent spillage since I knew Id have to pay for it when we moved out lol I also prefer them to use sippys in the car-less mess also.
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 7:46 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My older kids are 3 1/2 and almost 5. They both still have sippies for car trips and when they are sick. Other than that, we ditched them around age 2 1/2. (Although not really, as they have younger siblings.)
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 8:43 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• my son is 4 and i still have them, good for younger friends visiting and car trips.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:21 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My youngest is 3 1/2 and we tossed her last sippy cup some time last year when she was 2 1/2. She hadn't used them in a long time and they were just taking up space so I finally gave in and got rid of them. She stopped using them even in the car just after turning 2. She's been filling her own regular cup from the fridge since she was 2 and has been drinking from a regular cup without spilling since she was 18 months. We haven't needed sippies in a long time.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:14 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• We stopped sippy cups when we started potty training. Now they only have drinks at the table. On car trips they get juice bottles (the kind you use in a lunchbox) that are refilled at each stop (after they go to the bathroom)
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 10:30 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• They were gone at a year when we switched to straw cups. Now (they are 5, 4 and 3) they use sports bottles.
    Anonymous

• my son is 5 now and when he was 2, I switched to the cups with the retractable straw. I had a bunch of different cups actually and as each one got lost, I had fewer and fewer of them. I never bought new so by the time he was 4 we were done.
    I always have kept juice boxes in the center console of the car for car trips or when needed.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2009