Why would a doctor remove IV's from a dying patient?

I am just not sure and need to understand this. My brother's MIL is dying of brain cancer and as of Friday they took all IV's out. If they are keeping her comfortable until she passes how would the medicine be administered. Sorry but I don't know and am just confused by this. She is 43 and this is taking a toll much sooner than we expected. They found the tumor in August after she had a stroke. I just hope she is being made as comfortable as possible at thispoint but as I am not immediate family I am not allowed up there and so I cannot ask her doctor.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Health

• so sorry about your situation, theres probably nothing that the medicine can do for her anymore. if shes in her final days then theres no point in pumping medicine for her. this is what i think, my mom had liver cancer. ask her blood relatives to ask her doctor. again, so sorry.
    Anonymous

• She may have a living will or advance directive for health care which states she no longer wants these measures.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• it sounds like they are just letting her go, at that point anything other than pain meds is stopped. i'm sorry for your pain and sorrow
    t_creanskisa

Answer by t_creanskisa at 11:35 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I don't know.Maybe so she will pass faster and not suffer longer then she has to.Sorry for your family's loss.

Anonymous

• As a Hospice nurse I can tell you in end stage terminal patients there are several things they can do without IVs to keep her comfortable. As a persons body shuts down IV access becomes quite difficult to maintain. More sticks are a hinderance to the quality of life at that point. There are strong pain meds like Roxinol that are given with an eyedropper directly into the mouth. The person need not swallow they are absorbed quickly through the mucous membranes there. There are also things like Fentanyl patches that are placed on the skin and absorb that way to provide pain relief. IVs may have not been in acorance with an advance directive , living will or a DPAHC- durable power of attoney for health care. I will kepp you family close in thought.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:43 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• *accordance
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:44 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Sorry.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 11:58 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• We did this with my dad. Pain medicine administered was liquid morphine. :*(
    I am sorry for your difficulties.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:02 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Hospice knows what they are doing. They know how to keep a person comfortable until their last moment. The person you are talking about may have a living will or advance directive as someone else mentioned. Some people choose to die with dignity rather than pumped full of medication in hopes they turn around.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:42 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. She does not have a will or even medical insurance and so the family is all pitching in what they can towards her care and her pending burial. It is so sad how fast it is going.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Nov. 9, 2009