CAN I USE THIS BOOSTER CARSEAT FOR MY 3YR OLD DAUGHTER?

I FOUND THIS ADORABLE LEOPARD BRITAX BOOSTER SEAT FOR MY DAUGHTER..

I CALLED AND ASKED THE USUAL QUESTIONS.. "HOW OLD?" 5YRS...CAR ACCIDENT? NO.. ANYTHING BROKEN OR WRONG WITH IT? NO

IS 5YRS TOO OLD?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Depends on the booster. I have my son in one and he meets the weight and height requirements for it but some of the others he didn't.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 11:49 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I think most car seats come with "expiration" dates on them, I am not sure if boosters seats do. You could go like to wal-mart and see if any of them have a date stamped on them and get a general idea of how old a carseat you should use. I wouldn't let my mom use an infant seat that she had gotten second hand because of the "expiration" date on the back (but I was also very OVER protective of my lo. )
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• haha so sorry I totally read your question wrong! I don't think 5yrs is too old as long as there hasn't been any recalls on it. I'd get the company name/number and call to find out if it is safe for sure.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 1:00 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• A 3 yo is not old enough for a booster seat. And don't ever buy a used one, just because they say it's never been in an accident doesn't mean is hasn't - people lie! Wait til she's older and buy her a new one - they're not that expensive for a good one. I just bought a really good one for $45 for my child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• She no longer fits in her convertable. she out weighs it. shes 38lbs and too tall

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• She should be fine in the booster. Does it have a back on it? I tend to think the ones with the backs work a bit better for the skinnier kids...My 2 1/2 yo is in a booster with the back on it(had to use his for the new baby), and he does just fine. My 4yo is in the kind w/o the back, and he is fine. I would find out about the expire date though, and check it out to the max, and use your best judgment. If all else fails, take it down to the police station and have them check it and make sure of proper installment. That way you would know for sure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:34 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Please DO NOT buy a used car seat. They can tell you anything about that car seat, doesn't make it true. I know times are tough, but this isn't one thing you should get used unless it is from a friend or family member and you truly KNOW the history.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• car seats expire at 6 years, so I would never consider buying a used booster that you don't know the history of, let alone one that is only good for a year

Check your state laws, most have a 4 year and 40 lb MINIMUM for a child to be in a booster

what kind of convertible do you have, all of them that I am aware of have a 40 lb limit, so I'm not sure how she outweighs it yet
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:49 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Well, in NC, I don't think it's even legal for a 3 year old to be in a booster, especially backless. Further, my Britax expires after 5 years, so it may be expired. I'd keep looking. I don't know what kind of convertible you have, but if she's 38 pounds, you still need a convetible, just one that'll accomodate a smaller child. Obviously, she'll be forward facing. But I don't know a single 3 year old that isn't in a convertible, and most 4 year olds I know can still fit in theirs.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:06 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I wouldn't use it. Not being 5 years old. I also would never buy a used one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Nov. 9, 2009