How can I get my DD to eat other things than junk?

She is 19 months old, and will not touch a veggie. She will occasionally eat fruit, but that is on a rare occasion. How can I make sure she is getting enough nutrients? I have taken her to the DR and they think it is okay. She is only in the 25th percentile for her weight.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Don't give her anything besides balanced meals. Do not offer her junk.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 11:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• 1st, dont give her the junk, I put veggies in a blender and mix in spaghetti sauce and fat free cheese on top of broccoli , i chop it up really tiny and mix it in rice or pasta or whatever we're eating and my son never realizes that there are veggies in his food.
    Anonymous

• my 2nd child was/is that way. it drives me crazy! my dr always said to just offer him healthy stuff etc etc but that boy would/will eat nothing instead. he will go for days without eating almost anything. people have told me"he won't starve himself so just keep offering healthy stuff and he'll eventually eat it'. his dr isn't too concerned. he has always been in the 20-25 percentile also. i always felt that i had to offer him all these different foods, but i've learned that he loves meat (chicken, turkey, steak, fish) and pasta and bananas. i give him that and always offer him more. whether he takes it or not, is up to him. but its there incase he does want to branch out. maybe try a vitamin or some pediasure too. good luck. i know its tough!!
    rainandresmom

Answer by rainandresmom at 12:04 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Don't feed them junk in the first place. If you start kids off eating chicken nuggets and fries and pizza and junk, they will want junk. The bad thing about junk is it makes you crave more junk! The reason is simple and biological--your body knows you're getting calories and you're eating but you still have a nutritional deficit. You eat but you're starving. Obese people are malnourished because they eat too many calories and not enough nutrients their bodies really need.

Start slow, though. Like any other change with kids you have to start so slowly they don't even realize they're changing.

Offer her her favorites plus one new, nutritional thing. Offer it to her every day for two weeks. Kids will say they don't like it after one time. But they just don't like newness or change. Make sure everyone in the house eats this new thing. The monkey see-monkey do thing really goes a long way with kids.
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 12:05 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• OP here. When I say junk, i don't mean I am giving her cookies and fast food and such...just that she wont eat fruits and veggies. She does love bananas and chicken nuggets (baked of course) and she will drink milk as long as I will give it to her. I have tried limiting her liquid intake, and I have tried making her eat what I give her, but it doesn't work. I dont want her to starve!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• You could also try making the new stuff extra fun--
    "ants on a log" = celery and peanut butter (or cheese) with raisins on it. Add some broccoli trees and a ranch sauce river...
    give her bunny ears and a salad and tell her today is bunny day
    cut wholesome sandwiches into fun shapes
    get grilled chicken strips instead of breaded/fried nuggets
    try fish!! most kids I know LOVE fish and shrimp!
    Avoid breaded fried anything. Get grilled, steamed, broiled, baked, etc instead
    Take them to a salad bar and let them pick out new things to try. My kids LOVE the salad bar!
    Let her help you make her meals. Kids absolutely love to cook and they are more apt to eat what they make just out of pride and excitement
    Make trail mix--nuts, raisins, chocolate chips, mini pretzels, seeds, cereal
    Don't buy sugary cereal

You buy the food, you cook the food. You have control over what she eats. Kids won't starve themselves.
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 12:12 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• you said junk so that implies you are giving her junk food. what you mentioned her eating isnt junk but whatever. dont give her any "Junk Food" i wouldnt be giving her any fried foods or chicken nuggests. thats not healthy really
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Jessica Seinfeld has a cookbook with recipes that she makes for her kids where she incorporates veggies/fruits in almost every item. Most recipes can be made for a reasonable price, also. I know she even makes a brownie with a veggie in it and it tastes just like a brownie. Also, chix nuggets can be made healthy if you make them from scratch.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Nov. 9, 2009