Coughing up green/brown mucus

My dr diagnosed me with h1n1 over the phone. My son had a confirmed case of it, and it really wasn't that bad for him. But for me, man it's a nightmare! Teeth chattering chills, fever headache, nausea, diarrhea, coughing, body aches from hell, etc. Advil and Tylenol bring my fever down to 101 from 104, and I feel like a new woman. :) I just started coughing up dark colored mucus though, and I don't think that could be a good thing. I've never coughed up colored mucus before, so I have no idea what that means. It's kind of green, but kind of brown. My chest feels really heavy, and I'm sure there's more in there. Does this warrant a visit to my dr, or can I just ride it out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Health

• Green is a sign of infection. Brown is just old/dark green. Is your breath rattley at all when you breathe? Is your chest tight? Are you ahveing any trouble taking a deep breath? You *could* have pneumonia with it, which would likely take antibiotics to get over (if it's bacterial). I'd definitely call your doctor in the morning and ask him/her about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I think you should go get on antibiotics. It sounds like an infection.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:46 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Steam showers morning and night, it will get that junk out of your chest. My DH has it too and this is part of it. It happens anytime your sinuses get severely involved, your doctor will tell you to take steam showers, and to drink hot liquids (normally a hot lemon water sometimes with honey added for flavor, personally i use hot apple cider also) the combo of the showers and warm liquids will help to break it up and you can get it out.

Sounds like it has settled in your chest if it keeps up after a few days of showers then go back to the doctor because it can then turn to bronchitis and then pneumonia if left untreated. for the most part a few days of it is very normal from what my household has been through and what friends are telling me.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:48 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Thank you everyone. I am rattling when I breathe, my chest is tight, and I can't take a deep breath without hacking. I will call my dr this morning as soon as his office is open.

OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Yup, I have pneumonia. :( Oh well, at least my fever is almost gone and I'm on the downward slope of the flu.

OP
    Anonymous