Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What unhealthy foods do you feed your kids? What healthy foods too?

I have seen quite a few answers where moms say they only feed their kids super healthy foods. While we follow a low-fat, low-sodium diet, my kids do occasionally eat unhealthy foods. Yesterday, my daughter had macaroni and cheese from BK because we were having to wait for 30 minutes to pick up her dad and brothers and she was hungry. But normally they eat all sorts of fruits, lean chicken, 99% fat free ground turkey, lots of beans, whole wheat bread, brussels sprouts, brocolli, carrots, green beans, green peas, corn, low fat milk (organic when we can afford it). But occasionally they do have lower sodium ramen noodles, kool aid (like once a month), and the occasional soda (a few a month if that). I don't think that many moms are perfect. I know I'm not!

 
AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 12:49 AM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 20 (8,524 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (16)
  • She gets chicken nuggets and Ramen...that's the only non-healthy foods I make. Everything else I make is lean, there's always veggies, and real juice.
    OneToughMami

    Answer by OneToughMami at 12:52 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

  • I figure if they eat healty 90% of the time, I can be more lax the other 10%.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

  • sometimes if i'm working late or i'm not feeling well, i'll break out the chicken nuggets. Once in a while is not a big deal. Normally we try to feed them as healthy as possible. Once a month, we have fast food day, where we make fast food at home. One month we'll make cheese/ turkeyburgers w/ fries, the next month we'll make tacos and so on. not a big deal.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

  • LOL ok so i'm not the only "imperfect" mom. Good to know! Mine eat healthy at least 90% of the time. I'm on a low sodium low fat diet for myself, so after reading labels for 4 months, and knowing what is in certain foods, my kids don't eat them NEARLY as much as they used to! But they do get it occasionally.
    AprilDJC

    Answer by AprilDJC at 12:58 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

  • Mac & cheese (like Kraft, but generic), chicken nuggets/patties/strips, pizza (frozen, homemade, pizza place), and I'm sure there's more stuff people would consider junk. They eat a lot of baked goods too - homemade baked goods that I do my best to "healthify". But on the other hand, they all love fruits & veggies, are very open to trying new things (working on switching from white rice & bread to brown/whole grain and they're not complaining), they love homemade soups (but hate canned)...I can't say I'm perfect, but I do watch their sodium & sugar intake as much as I can, because of the history of heart issues & diabetes in our families. Pop & candy are rare treats, chips are rare here, I don't buy stuff that has high sodium most of the time...and I load up the unhealthy stuff with good stuff, like mac & cheese - lots of veggies & tuna in it, and fruit alongside.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

  • I am not obsessive about ' healthy ' foods but hamburger joints and sodas are on the 'no ' list ..
    We have pizza sometimes but I generally cook meals from scratch and do not buy packaged foods and processed or seasoned meats.
    janet116

    Answer by janet116 at 1:01 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

  • You aren't alone lol

    I never ate a lot of crap foods. I think the crappiest thing i eat is a cheese qusadilla ghetto mess that I am shoving in my mouth as I type
    OneToughMami

    Answer by OneToughMami at 1:07 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

  • well i do try and feed my daughter healthy foods but also slip u sumtimess ..For Ex today i fed her "instant soup" the maruchan...
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

  • Quoting OneToughMami:

    You aren't alone lol

    I never ate a lot of crap foods. I think the crappiest thing i eat is a cheese qusadilla ghetto mess that I am shoving in my mouth as I type "

    LOL That reminds me of my friend, she always eats these things she calls Ghetto Burritos, I have no idea what she even puts in them! Hotdogs and a bunch of other stuff.
    AprilDJC

    Answer by AprilDJC at 1:31 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

  • AprilDJC, I just put cheese...whatever kind we have, sometimes it cheddar, sometimes it's Oxaca...in between two tortillas...then microwave it for a minute...mmmm...my child dislikes them because the cheese it melted, she prefers the cheese and tortilla in a roll up...sometimes she puts lettuce in there too.

    OneToughMami

    Answer by OneToughMami at 2:10 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN