Am I in an english class???

Anyone find it amusing, when others comment about someone else's spelling /grammer errors? Some people seem to imply that a person's opinion on a subject isn't as "valid", because of the technical errors made in their response. Pretty silly, huh?

Pea22

Asked by Pea22 at 12:55 AM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• OMG!!! I hate that. especially if the mom asking the question really needs help and people will start off with "first of all, you need to learn how to spell" ugh, that really irks me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I haven't seen this in a while. Are the grammar police on tonight? I figured out who those people are one day I asked a question that said "Calling all grammar police I have an emergency" The question I asked was legit. I wanted to know when a person should use lie or lay. Sure enough 5 people answered with their screennames letting me know when to use it properly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• i honestly suck at spelling
    iv been trying to work on it
    but moms here make me feel stupid
    ugh lol i cant please everyone
    but yea it pisses me off
    really bad
    19bubbles91

Answer by 19bubbles91 at 1:02 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• No, because if you were, I would advise you to capitalize the word "English" lol...seriously though, who cares. The only time grammar and spelling bothers me is when some people use "text talk" and it takes a bit more effort than I want to expend to figure out what they're trying to say...then I just skip it. No need for folks to be so rude.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I don't care if there are typos, spelling errors or grammar errors as long as I can make out what the mom is saying. There was one the other night that was about 10 lines long, all one sentence, no punctuation, NOTHING was spelled right, and there were words put together that didn't make any sense. I couldn't understand what she was asking it was so bad. That's what I have a problem with.

I usually have great spelling and grammar myself, but I was asking a question that used the word "ridiculous" in it. I misspelled it "rEdiculous" and had some lady jump all over me about it. Like it made my point invalid. Bitch lol. One spelling error makes me a dumbass? That's dumb.

Most of us understand that you don't have to be a good speller in order to be intelligent. Ignore everyone else lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:05 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I'm not a phenomenal speller by any means but spell check takes 2 seconds and keeps me form looking illiterate (OK, maybe my spelling's not THAT bad lol). I can always tell right away when words are misspelled and when someone has poor spelling and grammar it's distracting and sometimes even difficult to read their posts! Honestly, sometimes I feel like I'm decoding messages on here. It does annoy me.

I have a masters to teach English as a second language so I guess I appreciate proper grammar from native speakers!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:08 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I hate it...but what I do love doing...is we have this chick who fancies herself the grammar police...I love calling her out on her errors and she makes quite a few.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:08 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Misspellings don't bother me randomly here and there. If I can't understand what the question is, that's annoying. I misspell sometimes, too, especially if I'm trying to burp my son and type at the same time. LOL.

Katlyne120806

Answer by Katlyne120806 at 1:10 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Also, I never "make a thing of it" or try to make anyone feel dumb unless they're being a bitch, then they're fair game as far as I'm concerned ;)
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:12 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Blueliner, that's what makes pointing out the grammar police's mess ups fun. They get all high on the horse and then it's like "Oh hey, the comma called, it would like it's place there after that word."
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:14 AM on Nov. 9, 2009