How can I get my baby to sleep all night?

I know that every baby is different. But I work and need to sleep. Any advice is good. Already trying the cereal thing.

JillMitchell

Asked by JillMitchell at 12:55 AM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Unfortunately, the cereal thing is not borne out by evidence. All you can do is wait it out. Babies sleep through the night when they're ready. Is cosleeping an option for you? It helps lots of moms get more sleep, and especially if you're breastfeeding. I don't even have to wake up, I just kinda roll over and let my baby nurse and then we're both back asleep. Moments, and I never even had to get out of bed!

Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:57 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Ok, I went to your profile. Your baby is only 3 months old? He's not going to sleep through the night, he's a BABY! Professionals consider 5 hours straight "sleeping through the night". At that young age, they're supposed to wake up a couple of times to eat - and giving him cereal is not doing him any favors! He's waking because he's hungry, becauase he's an infant, because his tummy is just so little yet and he can't eat enough to carry him through the night. So as snarky as this is going to sound: deal with it. Go to bed earlier so you get more sleep. Feed your child when he wakes up at night - he needs it or he wouldn't be waking up. Forget the cereal and anything else like it ("night time formula"). My youngest child woke up every 30-60 minutes til he was 2 months old, at least 5 times a night til he was a year, and now at almost 3 still wakes up almost every night. Not all babies sleep all night, get used to it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I am the author of this question. I realize he's young and I know that if he wakes up that he needs something. I was hoping that I could get some help because I have a ton of friends with kids his age that are already sleeping through the night. I like the first answer because maybe breast feeding longer might have helped me out better. Please don't answer if you are going to chastise. I just wanted some advice.
    JillMitchell

Answer by JillMitchell at 1:11 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Perhaps you can try swaddling. That might help him sleep a bit longer. My son woke up several times a night until he was about nine months old. There really isn't a lot you can do. My friend's baby was sleeping through the night after the first month. Lucky. However, she isn't a good sleeper now... and my son does great. Down at 7:30pm, up around 8-9am. Just hang in there. He will be sleeping through the night before you know it. Sleep deprivation sucks. Try to nap when you can. On your breaks at work, or when the baby naps. I know it's easier said than done. Try rountine... bath, low lights, pj's, music, or a book two hours before bed or so to help him unwind. It may not do much now, but it will help tons the long run.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 1:41 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I know this is not what you want to hear but its the truth....there is NO foolproof way to get a baby to sleep through the night, and sleeping through the night for an infant is not the same as it is for us adults, they simply cant go as long as we can.....your really setting yourself up for a big dissapointment if you think your baby is going to sleep for 8 hours plus straiight at night....I know some babies do, but honestly, thats the exception and not the rule.
    I wish I could give you some advice to help but ive got 3 kids and NONE of them slept through the night at that age, he is still a tiny little thing yet, I know you need sleep trust me I GET THAT more than you know, im super sleep deprived, but this is just life with a baby.
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 7:46 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• As mentioned, there is no way to make them sleep more than they are capable of doing. Breastfeeding/formula feeding has very little to do with how long they will sleep...although in my circle of friends, I've noticed formula fed babies TEND to sleep through the night sooner. (very small sample though)

Cereal has a tendency to back fire. It fills their tummy at first, but after digested, they wake up MORE hungry than before because the lower calorie cereal took up room that higher calorie formula or breast milk would have normally filled.

I'm none of the lucky ones. Mine slept through early (7hours minimum). Yes, they took an average of 45oz of formula per day but no they didn't have any cereal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• He or she will sleep through the night when THEY are ready.........I dont think you can make them. I got lucky lol mine slept through the night from really early.....about 8 weeks. When I say all night I mean 8-6 and 12 hours a night by 8 mo
    airforewifenmom

Answer by airforewifenmom at 8:13 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• All babies need a certain number of calories per wt/kg in order gain wt and thrive. Most babies will sleep through the night when they reach 10-12 lbs. At this point, they are big enough (stomach size) to consume enough calories and volume during the day, in order to sustain them for the over night hours.

How big is your baby? How much is he eating during the day? How many ozs?

As long as your baby is consuming calories for wt during the day, is growing on his "Own Growth Curve", and has reached the 10-12 lb range he should not need to eat during the night, just as the rest of the population does not.

If you'd like additional info and ideas, PM me- I'm an Nicu nurse with 30 years of experience and know a great deal about nutrition, infants, growth and development-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:25 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Your first mistake is comparing your child to others. EVERY CHILD IS DIFFERENT!!! At 3 months a child NEEDS to wake up to eat through out the night. As others have noted adding cereal can have the opposite effect not to mention the amazing amount of negatives that come with introducing cereal in a bottle too young. You may very well be setting yourself up for a much harder and longer process by trying to force the situation. Sleep is a developmental milestone reached in baby's own time. Sorry but I have to totally agree with ANON 1:07, welcome to motherhood you will get sleep when they move out. ; )

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Babies have their own timetables for when they do things. You can't 'make' them sleep thru the night until they are ready to do so. And each baby is different. I have 3 and this is what they were like: My oldest slep thru the night from 8wks on...it would be rare that he would wake up at night. When he was a year he was a good 10--12hr/night baby. My 2nd child did not sleep thru the night until he was almost a year old-- and then no matter what time you put him to bed he was up at 5:30 am! My 3rd was a combination- at 12wks he slept thru the night for a full night, and then he varied-- some nights he would sleep thru the night, some nights he would wake up 2-3x. We did not know from night to night how it would be. Then when he was around 7- 8mo old he finally started sleeping thru the night every night.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:52 AM on Nov. 9, 2009