depressed....

so i can only afford to get my DD one thing for christmas
she is gonna be almost 10 months
it makes me so depressed
its her first christmas and i want to make it a good one
anyone else have this problem
and does it make u feel the same??????

19bubbles91

Asked by 19bubbles91 at 1:05 AM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Holidays

• I used to have this problem, but we've paid off our debts and have saved our asses off to get where we are now. Honestly, my husband, chidren and I are no happier having more money than we were when we were broke. The money makes our lives easier and less stressful, but not happier. Don't be depressed things will get better. Enjoy xmas and embrace what you have and don't think of what you don't have. Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• She's only ten months old so while it's not exactly how you want things to be, she will not feel like she's missing anything. Perhaps try handmade gifts? Do you crochet or knit? You can make stuffed animals, clothes, blankets. Save yogurt cups and clean them so she can use them as building blocks. Baby food jars with beans inside make good rattles. Old pots and pans are always good. At this age, children love noise. They're happy with a box, so perhaps you can build a fort and play with her?
    zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 1:22 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I would not feel horrible at all! My husband and i were broke last year and still are this year. I personally think it's more about making the day a good one. On the other hand most of the stuff that my son plays with are house hold items... pots pans, stuff like that. I really woundn't worry about it.
    thenewmum

Answer by thenewmum at 1:42 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• and i agree with answer number one about money
    thenewmum

Answer by thenewmum at 1:43 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Do to the Dollar Tree- inexpensive coloring books and crayons, make homemade playdoe (nontoxic bonus!), shop used stores for nice things( i have found brand new still has tags toys for my kids at Goodwill before), see if your area has a freecycle program and ask on there for items you might like for your child. Hope this Helps!
    Jezture

Answer by Jezture at 2:00 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Christmas isn't about getting a bunch of shit. You are teaching her something more valuable. The spirit of the season is giving. It should be measured by the amount of love you will be giving her. You don't need to give her anything more than one item. Just break the norm of what Christmas has turned into. Have a good meal with her, and spend the day together. Spread the love of the holiday. Last I checked, real love was free :-)
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:33 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• She is 10 months old so she don't need much, and like jezture said you can go to dollar tree and check the toys out there
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:34 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• What's important that she has a warm place to sleep at nights not some gift that she won't know about at 10 months old. Christmas shouldn't be about materialistic things.  Just be happy she is health and happy that should be gift enough.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• The Holiday Season is for being with family, friends. Your dd is very young it is not going to mean any different to her about the gifts. Don't make yourself sick over this... decorate your home with her watching you, sing some carols, listen to some with her... make her handprints with paper and paint to hang up (date it) save and hand up every yr afterwards... or how about a family set of handprints, homemade things are more precious than store bought...
    We could not do much last yr bc dh had under gone chemo for cancer and that left us depleted in the funds area, but we still made it a good Holiday for all of our grandchildren and families...
    I made cookies (500 to be exact) and gave baskets full of cookies as gifts, I went to the Dollar store and bought smaller items to make a bigger gift bag of goodies...
    If you make it happy for you, your dd will be just as happy too...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:28 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Get a project going in making her first Christmas Stocking.  A gift from her mom that she made from her own two hands. One that she can treasure for years on end. 

How to Sew a Handmade Christmas Stocking: Video Series 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Nov. 9, 2009