Hurting the temple of God?

What hurts the temple of God aka our bodies? What can/can't we do to them? What can/can't we eat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 AM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• What Beeky saids....

Just out of sheer curiousity....who in the blue hell would just sit around drinking blood? I mean that should send you to hell just for being asshattish enough to drink something that could potentially harm you. I would hope that this God fellow has common sense and people who do things against it get a swift kick in the ass.

Like really, all of this stuff that is against God...not drinking blood, eaten dirty harmful foods...that all seems like shit you should be doing or not doing.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:25 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• In Acts 10, the Bible states that we are free from the legalistic dietary laws that were formerly in place. I do believe that there are some benefits to not overindulging in some of those foods. The context of the idea of the body being the temple of the Holy Spirit is found in 1 Cor. 6, and it is not the context of food but rather of sexual immorality and fornication. Somewhere in that passage, the statement is made that every other sin is outside the body except for fornication, which is a sin against our own bodies. A verse or two after that states that our bodies are the temple of Holy God. The Bible is very clear that sexual sins are very serious to God. In Revelation, unrepentant fornicators are in the list of those who will not be allowed into Heaven.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:45 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Isn't piercing and tattoos considered a sin agianst the body?
    Anonymous

• The body isn't a temple, it is an amusement park.  Plenty of thrills and chills and occasionally it makes you puke.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 2:18 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Anon 2:11 -- technically yes, because both have roots in pagan worship rituals, but many christians tend to interpret and justify that as it fits whether or not they want it done. I've seen vehement arguments on both sides of the issues. Now to me (but I am atheist) if the handbook is considered inerrant, and it says to not do anything pertaining to pagan practices, then that's what it means.  But one, it's all mythology to me, anyway, and two, I have neither tattoos nor piercings for autistic sensory issues, and three,  there are plenty of believers who see the bible as reflective of its time and culture more than as written in stone for the ages. 

roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 2:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• In Acts 10, the Bible states that we are free from the legalistic dietary laws that were formerly in place.
    ------------------------
    You should read Acts 15:19,20--

19Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:

20But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

The law against eating blood is one of those "legalistic dietary laws". Those laws are intended for our good health and aren't anymore legalistic than the ones against fornication, adultery or stealing.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 2:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Lexy didn't Jesus himself say that it;'s not what goes into the body that makes it unclean but what comes out? Yes blood isn't the best thing to drink but it wont send us to hell. But if we eat shrimp or pork chops that are properly cooked then they are not harmful.
    Anonymous

• (stupid FaceBook) BEEKY...I was looking for the "like" button under your comment!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:26 PM on Nov. 9, 2009