Are crib borders safe and necessary?

I have a crib border from my last baby, and im just debating whether or not i should use it for the new baby

guitarmom101

Asked by guitarmom101 at 7:47 AM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, bumpers pose more risks than the reward. I suppose people use them to not only look good, but to possibly keep babies legs or arms from getting stuck. I would prefer my child possibly have a broken limb than to suffocate. A bone can be fixed, a life can't be replaced. Sorry to be so blunt, but that's the simple truth.

bugs-momma

Answer by bugs-momma at 8:57 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• if you are talking about crib bumpers, then yes they are a safety hazard and all safe sleep experts will tell you that there should be nothing in the crib but the baby.

If you are worried about the baby getting stuck in the slats you can get breathable bumpers at toys r us
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:50 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Are they necessary? No.

Are they safe? As long as they are installed properly and aren't the big fluffy ones, they're fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• There is no way a baby can suffocate on a crib bumper if it's installed correctly and not big and fluffy. Those mesh bumpers are more hazardous...the velcro can come lose and they can wrap the thing around their throats...which his why they have to be removed once the baby can move.

My kids always slept cuddled up to the bumper once they were on the move. I watched them nervously, lost a lot of sleep moving them and then realized there was no physical way they could mash their face in there far enough or hard enough to suffocate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Nov. 9, 2009