Does milk make a cough worse?

I have heard that when a child has a cough do not give them milk somehow it makes it worse.

what do you think or know of this?
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on Nov. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes, it gunks up the throat. It's best to give skim milk when sick and get the other nutrients from food.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:08 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• There have been studies to try and prove that milk makes mucus worse or makes you cough more. The results - milk doesn't cause any harm.

http://www.abc.net.au/health/talkinghealth/factbuster/stories/2007/11/28/2102703.htm

If a person has a true milk allergy that causes breathing difficulties the reaction would occur within 15 min. Of course people with milk allergy shouldn't drink milk.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:11 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Yes, it creates mucus.

Answer by older at 8:14 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Yep "Milk makes Mucus" thats how I was taught to remember it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:20 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Yes it does make it worse. Even as an adult it isnt to bright to drink milk when sick
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Aww man. Thats sucks. Its the only thing i like to drink when i get a cough. It soothes the throat....but at a cost.
    GrungeMum

Answer by GrungeMum at 8:42 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Yeah. What everyone else said. It always clumped up the mucus and phlegm in my throat and chest and made me cough worse.

I don't know why it causes it but honey can sometimes have the same effect. I use to take spoons of honey when sick. It would clump the mucus or phlegm up in your chest and when you coughed it would come up in big icky chunks. I think with milk it clumps up but doesn't allow it to be released from your chest.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 8:48 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I didn't look at the study because I can tell when I drink milk that I get more mucus in my mouth.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 9:01 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I used to sing and milk increases the phlegm in your throat so yes, it will make a cough worse. It coats the throat thus further irritating the cough.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:45 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• It doesn't matter what science says, just believe what you have heard. What century is this?

If you would have looked at the link you would have found that some people feel a sensation when they drink milk but mucus does not increase. It's all in your head, or tongue.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:49 AM on Nov. 9, 2009