Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What could this redness be on his penis?

My ds has this slight redness on his penis I automatically think it is somekind of an infection so he took a shower and I put some neosporin on it. Atleast this is what the doctor told us to do back when he was smaller but he recommended (Polysporin) anyway also my son has been telling me when he goes to go pee he feels like it burns and he has felt some kind of a shocky feeling. He just came to me with this Saturday. I am going to take him to the doctor I just want to know has anyone ever gone through this with their baby?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Nov. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Answers (5)
  • I never have, but it sounds to me like it might be a urinary tract infection, or maybe a blockage of some sort. The shocky feeling kind of sounds weird to me, but it could still be a UTI. Guys get pretty much the same symptoms as us, from what I understand.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 8:13 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

  • thats what i was thinking also.......possibly a uti, idk on the guy symptoms but thats what is sounds like.

    Answer by Rebeccaroe at 8:15 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

  • There is a product called "monkey butt" and it is supposed to help men with rawness and redness in this area. (and no, I'm not joking - it really is called monkey butt). Keep the area clean and use a cream or ointment for a day or two - if it doesn't clear up - go see a doctor.

    Answer by MaryAnne3mommy at 8:29 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

  • My son had this same experience when he was a little younger. Yes, I agree with tropicalmama, it's a urinary tract infection. I forgot the antibiotic given but after that antibacterial medication, it went back to normal.

    Answer by mommytoots at 8:56 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

  • My son had this also and we found out he was allergic to harsh laundry detergent like bleach or Tide w/bleach etc.The skin was raw and when he urinated it burned terrible. Loose boxers work better then the snug fitting underwear. UTI's hurt the males in their urethra not on the skin and surrounding areas, also it's very unusual for little boys to get UTI's due to the fact that they have a longer tract then females and the force of urine tends to push any bacteria out before it has time to settle in. I'm not saying they can't get them but you should see a Urologist to make sure and if he shows signs of urinating all the time. Good Luck!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.