can a get in a pool with colrine?

i was wondering if a 4 month old can get in the hot tub, if the water isnt hot, will the chemicals bother him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Here's the scoop:

Most hot tubs are sanitized with bromine, some are with chlorine. Bromine levels should be kept between 1-3ppm, chlorine levels between 2-4ppm. An infant can safely be exposed to bromine and chlorine at these appropriate levels. You should always do a chemical check prior to entering a hot tub, if you are staying at a hotel have them check for you.

Heat - legally hot tubs and their heaters cannot exceed a temperature of 104. 104 is TOO HOT for an infant as their bodies are unable to regulate their internal temperatures. Turn the heater down to 98 degrees.

If the chemical levels are good and the heat is 99 or less your baby can safely enter into a hot tub. Do not submerse the baby's head until six months.

I have worked in the pool/spa industry for over 15 years - 8 of those years included teaching swimming to infants.
    MaryAnne3mommy

Answer by MaryAnne3mommy at 8:37 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• HOT TUBES ARE NOT FOR CHILDREN!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I don't know about the hot tub thing, but as long as the water isn't hot and the jets aren't on I don't know why not. I took my kids in chlorinated pools from the time they were a couple months old.

Answer by missanc at 8:30 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I wouldn't do it. You don't know how well the pool has been cared for and the baby could get a skin infection. The chemicals aren't as much an issue, it's if they are doing their job at killing germs & crud from other people.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:32 AM on Nov. 9, 2009