Would 8ozs be too much for a 2 month old?

I feed her 6 now, but she still seems as though she is hungry. I burp her well and give her a binki to see if it will curve it but it doesnt. So I give her two more ozs and she is fine. Is that two much? She is 2 1/2 months.

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 8:40 AM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it's only too much if she pukes it up. My son was on 8oz by that age too
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:45 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• To tell how much formula to use a day take your baby's weight in pounds and multiply by 2.5. If your 2 month old baby weighs 10 pounds, 10 X 2.5 = 33 ounces for the day. If you give 6 bottles a day then you sould be giving a little less than 6 ounces a bottle.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-to-tell-how-much-formula-your-baby-needs_9136.bc

Babies have a strong suckling need. They spend hours at the breast. That's why you can't let babies eat as much as they want at a bottle, they can overfeed and become overweight. At least overweight for what they would have been if they were breastfeed. This can lead to a lifetime of weight problems.

You probably heard breastfed babies are healthier and this is one of the lifelong health benefits breastfed babies have. I think moms should understand as much as possible so they can minimize the disadvantages of formula feeding.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:00 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Oh Good GOD, let your baby eat as much as she wants to eat. My son was formula fed from the time he was 1 month old. He had 8 ozs of formula from the time he was 2 months old. When he was 3 months he had enough cereal in it to spoon feed. He was healthy, Yes he was a very fat and adorable baby. He weighed 22lbs when he was 6 months old. He did NOT use the bottle as a need to suck, he had a pacifier. The bottle was FOOD only, and he didn't eat at night. Hate to break the mold, but weight problems are due to genetics and eating habbits that usually come from the parents, AND inactivity. My son, who was sooo fat as a baby, is 6'1" and is only 135lbs. We dont' have weight issues in my family. If your daughter wants 8oz of formula, then give it to her. She will tell you if it's too much
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:07 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Personally I think it's way too much at a time for a baby of any age.... 6 oz at a time should be plenty. I would change her to a slower flow nipple so that her tummy has time to know that it's full.
    I think that when people say she can have as much as she wants as long as she doesn't throw up... that's just stupid. I mean, really think of how OVER full you would have to be to throw up... she can be full and even too full and keep everything down. (I watched my nephew take 14 oz at a time because of this theory)
    Your baby should take around 6 6 oz bottles/day at this age... but if she is acting like she is hungry then feeding her smaller amounts more often would probably be better for her..... try 8 4 oz bottles in a day (more similar to a breastfed baby) and she might be happier.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:34 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• its on the slowest flow nipple thats made so that one is out.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:38 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Hun, if your daughter wants 8oz then give it to her. Or maybe just try 7oz. It won't hurt her. Some babies are more hungary than others. my daughter NEVER took more than 6oz, where my son was a pig lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:41 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• If she wants it then give it. The CRAP that Gailll quotes is bullshit. That is a GUIDELINE for feeding formula, not the gospel. Like she would know, anyway.

Mine took 8oz every 2 hours starting at 6 weeks. They didn't puke it back up, they weren't hungry for more (until they started taking 10oz at 5 months) and they are certainly not having any health issues due to their taking of formula.

You can't overfeed a baby. If they take too much, they will puke it back up. You certainly can't make them swallow it if they don't want it. Yes they have a strong sucking need....that's why they either use pacifiers or their thumbs. You can always let a baby have as much as it wants with a bottle! They're hungry!!! Why should a formula fed baby go hungry just because Gailll's sources say it "shouldn't" eat over a certain amount.

Feed on demand. Breast or bottle. And ignore gailll.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I BF my daughter until she was 6 months old. I would let her nurse as often as she wanted. Who am I to say when she's full ya know? She's gonna be 8 months in a few days and now she prefers actual food over formula. She eats at least 3 meals a day and only takes about 2 bottles a day on the average. She's a happy and healthy girl.
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 10:36 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• i asked my doc the same thing they said let them eat as much as they want....the doc said shell letcha know when shes done.
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 11:23 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Ignore Gaill. All of what she said is just nonsense. Your baby will eat as much as she feels she needs. Sometimes putting infant cereal in the baby formula will fill her up with the six ounces. If your baby does infact require eight ounces of formula, then that's perfectly fine. Every baby requires a different amount of formula. Talk with her Pedi if using cereal would help more then more ounces in the bottle.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:12 PM on Nov. 9, 2009