Is there a "right time" for us to have a baby?

I know there's no magic answer to this, but here's a little more info: DH has 3 years left in the Army, I have a little less time left to go on my BA, and we want to have a baby before we're done in the Army. Do you think it would be unwise to get pregnant when I'm close to finishing my degree, but not yet finished? If so, when is the "best time" to put a career on hold to raise a family?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Nov. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• any time is the right time, if i were u i would go for it as long as both of u want it.u wouldnt have to put ur carrer on hold.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:30 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I liked going to college when I had babies. It gave me something to do since I was a stay at home mom. I'm a grandmother now. For you it may be even easier if you can take online courses.

My husband and I worked out all kinds of different ways for me to take classes when my babies were young. I usually took the semester they were born off and then only took 2 courses the next semester. By the second baby I was a grad student and only needed 3 courses to be full-time.

One class I took was about 30 min from home. My husband would drive me and the baby would fall asleep. My husband would read in the car while I was in class. If the baby started to wake up, he would drive around the parking lot. When I got done we would go out to eat and I would nurse the baby. He would sleep again for the ride home.

I ended up getting two masters' degrees while my kids were young.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:35 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• There is no 'right time' in my opinion. Babies will always affect your life, and that is a good thing!! :-) If you and hubby want one, then go for it. There will always be money concerns, job concerns, marriage stuff. I don't worry too much about the right time!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:36 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• There is NO right time to have a child, but there are deffinately WRONG times. Personally I would wait till you finished school, would just be easier. Maybe work for a year to get experience then have a baby, that way you have a career to fall back on if your hub doesn't have a job when he gets out of the army. You can go to school and have a baby, it can and has been done MANY times. Personally I would think it would be easier to wait. But it's your biological clock lol. best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:39 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• We waited until we finished college and my husband had the income to support us on his own. I worked during that time and we put my checks into savings. I had an 80k a year job so for 5 years we put that away and have a very nice nest egg. My husbands income doubled during that time so we live on half his pay put the rest in savings and I can be home with our children. We were 28 with out first, 30 with our second, 31 with our third, 32 with our 5 and 6, and 35 with our 7th. I am 37 and pregnant with our 8th child now. I think we are done after this baby. If we would have gotten pregnant while in college I never would have been able to work the hours I did at my job and been able to save like we did. We paid cash for our first home and we pay cash for our cars. We don't have financial worries at all. Our marriage was not a new one it was solid and we knew what we wanted. I would wait.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• If we would have waited for the "right" time, we would have never had kids, and life would be so much different without them. I say go for it. You will be glad you did.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 10:07 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• if you wait for the 'right time' you'll never have kids.

go for it, you'll figure it all out as you move along....
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:24 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• If most people were to think out this decision there wouldn't be too many babies around!!!! go for it, and the rest will fall into place.

Answer by older at 12:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• OP here--thanks for all the help :)
    Anonymous

• There is no right time. There is no wrong time. :)
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2009