If I had to have an emergency c section , then can I still get a mid wife instead of an obgyn on my next pregnancy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Not for the delivery. Midwives can't do VBACs or C-sections. If your OB has a CNM that works with her then you may be able to have the CNM do your prenatal care.

You could hire a doula to be with you for a VBAC or C-section.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:40 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• It is untrue that a midwife can't do a VBAC. Completely untrue. There are protocols everywhere just check into your local options. I have a homebirth midwife who does VBAC's and the CNM's in the area also do VBAC's.
    happySAHMmomof2

Answer by happySAHMmomof2 at 9:43 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• i agree with happy. you might have a hard time finding a provider for VBAC whether it be OB or midwife, so you will have to start researching early. some midwives cannot be your provider for VBAC. but many can :) it all depends on their insurance i think. i would call around to a bazillion places, search online, and look at the ican website. good luck!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:47 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• You just have to call the midwives in your area to find one that will do a VBAC. It also depends on why you needed the c-section in the first place.
    kristinas8

Answer by kristinas8 at 10:03 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• No mama, please know that THE FIRST RESPONSE IS WRONG. That is inaccurate.

Yes, you can have a midwife attend your delivery~ you're more likely to have success with a midwife.

Why did you have the first cesarean?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:07 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I wanted an all natural birth. I got to 7cm and his heartrate kept dropping. So they rushed me in for c section. I had to be put to sleep. When I woke up one nurse said he had a prolasped cord and another said it was wrapped around his neck.
    Anonymous

• Ah, well, not good for that birth experience, must have been scary! BUT good in that you would "qualify" for a vaginal birth with your next baby. (With that history, you wouldn't "risk out.")
    So you should look for the provider that best clicks with you that you like, might want to interview... Depending on where you live, you may have to search harder to find a provider. Hopefully, this is not your situation.
    Good luck! :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:36 PM on Nov. 9, 2009