What do you give a 8 month old? (FIRST time mommy, PLEASE REPLY)

My DD will be 8 months in a few days, and she has a HORRIBLE cold. I called her doctor and they said to give her saline drops. Those drops won't help her cough and SUPER runny nose. Is there any cough/cold medicine you would recommend?

piercedbeauty21

Asked by piercedbeauty21 at 9:56 AM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've heard rubbing vicks on their feet & putting socks on will help a cough, haven't tried it but it's worth a shot! A lot of stuff they've taken off the shelves due to parents being quick to buy whatever and injuring their children. The saline works great for congestion but it's always a battle getting that nose plunger up there! Try a humidifier or vaporizer (not sure which works better) in her room when she's sleeping and that might help too. Hope she feels better GL!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:59 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I really don't know of anything over the counter, baby claritin would help the runny nose, but not the cough. I used a warm air vaporizer with my son and it done wonders for him when he had a cough and cold. I would probably call the doctor back and tell them you think your daughter needs something else to help her. They will probably let you bring her in.
    Good Luck with her, I hope she gets feeling better.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 9:59 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I don't think you can give a baby cough or cold medicine. I wouldn't use any on an infant anyway. Try using a humidifier, give her a soothing bath at least once a day. Maybe some warmed apple juice. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Rub a little Vicks Vaporub on her feet and put socks on her. I know it sounds stupid, but it really does work. You might do a little research before doing this. I've never tried it on a child so young, but I think it wouldn't be at all harmful. It really helps the congestion and coughing.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:00 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• elderberry syrup

Answer by rkoloms at 10:09 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• saline, wait a bit, then suction the nose with the bulb syrine thingy. do it often. Then as the others have said. prop up crib mattress, humidifier, vicks on the feet, and no meds unless the doc OKs it. They haven't been proven effective and there's a great chance of overdosing because of their smaller size.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• definitely saline, wait and suck the nose out. but DON'T do it too often or it'll get all sore and worse.

gerber or johnson MENTHOL bath - run a super hot (HOT ONLY) tub of water (door closed) make as much steam as you can with the menthol in there. then bring baby in and let the steam do its thing. add cold water to the tub and let baby have a bath. keep the door and the curtain closed to keep that steam in as best you can. it works wonders on kids and grownups.

we got a plug in vick vaporizer thingy....works well too.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:47 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• NO cough or cold medicine, unless directed, until they're 2! A cool mist humidifier may help, and sucking out the snot with a bulb syringe.
    Has she been in to see the dr? My son has had trouble with cough/wheezing, and he was precribed breathing treatments, which help a ton. Once before, we were also told we could use a very small amount of Mucinex (he was older than your daughter). Good luck, mama, I know it is so tough to take care of a sick baby. Hope she feels better soon!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 11:38 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I have a this bath bubble stuff that is has like vicks in it or something and you give them a bath with it in the bath and it helps the runny nose and the congested feeling. Its called Johnsons Soothing Vapor Bath... but it only helps them for like a half hour to hour after the bath, I let him smell it though on other times when he has a stuffy, or runny nose and it helps then also. Good luck and hope she feels better!
    Savanna22

Answer by Savanna22 at 12:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Thanks SOOOO much for all the help. I got my daughter the vapor bath, some boogie wipes & some baby Vicks. I gave her the steam treatment followed by a bath, then rubbed a little Vicks on her feet and chest. She's SOOO much better now. She's still sick and icky, but feeling better. Thanks again ladies.
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 8:39 PM on Nov. 9, 2009