• In the Spotlight:

Veterans losing patriotism

Honorable discharge in '92, then MOS goes on freeze because of cutbacks. Since then been a part of economy, struggling to not get fired or layed off, but yet still paying taxes for babysitting soldiers joining for benefits (wrong reasons). Very angry.

I've heard of veterans being disgruntled. Now I feel that I'm heading in the same direction. What do you feel about the oversight of veterans?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It's disgusting. However that is our government most who added and received injuries in the 9-11 rescue did not receive health care or benefits from having to leave before retirement.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:59 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My Pop-Pop was a veteran and never expected anything else when he left. He served because he was able. He felt it was his duty as an American. Whatever he got in return he was greatful for....

He had negative and positive things to say about this country and the way it was run, but his patriotism never suffered.
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:09 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My dad was a WWII vet and he came back from war and did what he had to do to take care of himself and his family. In other words went on with his life. So did many other vets from that era that I have known. None ever lost their patriotism.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:16 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Most vets I know, volunteer with, and are related to haven't lost patriotism. They are concerned sometimes infuriated by the growing bureaucracy. But, no~they haven't lost patriotism.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:35 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• The friends and family I have that have been overseas in the last couple of years came back seriously dis-illusioned to the ideals of our government. All of the three boys I know who have been over there say that the wars are not right, and are not being handled right, even now. So I know that isn't exactly what you meant with your question, but they came back less patriotic than when they left, that's for sure.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 10:41 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• First let me say that I think it is a shame when promised benefits are reduced. Shorting those that were willing to or did make the ultimate sacrifice is very wrong.

Anyone that pays taxes pays for the service of today's soldiers. You cannot know the reason they are serving. Using the word "babysitting" is not only belittling, but as the wife of one of today's soldiers, I find it offensive. He didn't join for the benefits, neither did his 3 brothers, 1 sister, 1 brother-in-law and 2 sister in laws.

The disgruntling I am aware of is not because of the folks serving today, but because this country is taking a terrible turn..a turn that makes their service almost meaningless. It is also because the current administration seems determined to turn its back on all military.

I don't think they have lost their patriotism though---far from it.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:45 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

I am seeing just the opposite and on a much larger scale. Returning soldiers all have something to offer on what could make things better over there and that is valuable information. I don't know a single one that has said the war isn't right.

My BIL led the first wave of the first Iraqi war. His stories of the people and the conditions they were living in will make you cry. The stories of the soldiers running to greet the Americans, well, I just can't describe them. There is something very right.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:54 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I see nothing wrong in joining the military for benefits. It is a great job, they will send you to school and they pay for it. It is where a lot of great people started.

Have the men and women lost their patriotism? some are just angry about this war. And they are very angry with their Commander and Chief, who seems not to know what to do. Bush and Obama have failed us all.
    Some of our military have seen that the war is NOT keeping us safe like people think. Look what just happen in Taxes.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:10 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I am seeing just the opposite and on a much larger scale. Returning soldiers all have something to offer on what could make things better over there and that is valuable information. I don't know a single one that has said the war isn't right.

This is what I am seeing as well.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:30 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I don't think anyone is losing their patriotsim,certainly not military. My DH was about to be drafted in 1966. He entered Officers' Training in the Air Force and served as an Officer for 21 years. The entire time he felt he was doing the right thing. EVen when friends would leave the Air Force and got better paying civilianjobs, he was not tempted to get out. We had three kids and we really pinched pennies but we were happy anyway. I don't know anyone who is not in support of our Military, do you?
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:31 AM on Nov. 9, 2009