High controversy here! **Vaccination based question

I was watching a Law & Order SVU (based on true story) yesterday, and they tried a woman for murder because she had not vaccinated her son, and he passed the Measles on to another child who died. They said that her choice not to vaccinate is what caused this child's death...

Now, as a parent that doesn't vaccinate, I see it as the parents right to educate and make a choice for their family. I also believe that had the other child received proper treatment there would have been no death.

So, here is the question. Should a parent who does not vaccinate be able to be tried should their choice not to leads to death or injury of their child or another? And on the flip side, does that mean that a parent that chooses to vaccinate should be tried for the same crimes if their child is injured or killed by the vaccines themselves? Or should we simply keep this out of the courts and headlines all together?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:38 AM on Nov. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think my opinion is rather clear. I do not vaccinate. I see it as just short of abuse. But it's a choice that every parent has to make and live with. I feel that if a parent makes an educated disition they have less of a chance to make a bad choice. But the truth is that there are risks on both sides of this coin and that if one is seen as wrong because of potential risks then the other needs to be as well...

I don't see prosecuting a parent for not vaccinating as okay unless you would prosecute a parent of a child injured by vaccines as well... And I would NEVER be okay with that... Risk lies on both sides of the argument and I don't feel it's a choice that anyone besides the parents should make. Including the courts! If I never had to see another news story about the subject, I could die happy!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:43 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I don't understand how the vaccinated child contracted measles from the non-vaccinated child. If the child was vaccinated, seems like he'd have very little chance of contracting the disease. I don't think the parent who chose not to vaccinate thir child should be charged. Seems unlikely that vaccinated children would be at a great risk. Now, if the parent did not vaccinate, the non-vaccinated child contracted measles, and the parent refused to get their child treatment, that's a different story. I think that denying medical treatment to a dying child is something a parent should be consequenced for.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:45 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• having had one of my children contract german measles from the vaccine, i learned the hard truths about vaccinations, and very selectively vax (mainly tetanus & hep c ~ we have someone close to us that contracted it, and all of us were vaccinated). i am not anti vax, but am HIGHLY aware of the very real dangers involved... that said-

no, it should be a NON ISSUE. if a parent is to be tried for a vax related death, that absolves the responsibility of A) the manufacturer B) our government. likewise, as the parent of children that are for all intents and purposes, not vaccinated, i do not believe that i should be legally held responsible for the death of another child (or my own) for not having intentionally poisoned my children. it is an informed decision on my behalf, not to vaccinate, and i am not legally obligated to do so. therefore no litigation should occur because of damages incurred because of a non vax scenario.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:58 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• i saw this show awhile ago i think that the baby that contracted the measles from the unvaccinated child was not old enough to get the vaccine yet. My daughter is vaccinated but I don't think that the parents of the unvaccinated child should be tried.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 11:00 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• It's a ticking bomb waiting to happen or not. You just don't know until it happens. Fighting off dieases is what makes our bodies strong. Those are the chooses you made now try to deal with it in the background.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My son got the measles from a vaccinated child who had just been freshly vaccinated. Should I be able to sue the parents for bringing the child to daycare? My son was not old enough for the vaccine yet. If my son had died could the mother be charged? I think the war on those who don't vaccinate it ridiculous.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• It is just a T.V. show..not real life. Because how does anyone really know who they get sick from??
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:56 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• No, becuase in real life, you can get the illness even if vaccinated and still pass it on. Would the vaxing mom be tried then? Of course not. And what about the boy that got it. Was he vaccinated? Because you could argue that either that mom was wrong for not vaccing or that the vax was not done right if the child got it. etc. etc. It's easy to place blame, but doesn't mean it's right.
    Anonymous

• I saw that show! It was really sad. No, I think that's crazy to sue. It wasn't a realistic episode (uh, duh, it was tv), but it's interesting to contemplate. I am fine with other people vaxing their kids. I do like a heads up if they give a live virus, so we can avoid them for a day. I don't think it's anything to stress over, but we just like to be safe.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:20 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• i can understand not wanting to give your child a vaccine like the swine flu vax which hasnt been out for long, but vaccines like measles that have been around for years & years and have saved lives, i think its ridiculous when parents dont give them to their kids & if you unvaxed kid gave my kids the measles i would call you a murderer too, i would sue you and i would beat the shit out of you.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:27 PM on Nov. 9, 2009