How can I allow myself to become less controlling and begin to enjoy the youthfulness of my children?

Hi, I am a 40 yearold professional and proud mom of two. (A daughter of 10 and a boy of 15 months.) My work life is great, but I seem to be failing in my home life. I am having a hard time letting my children be children. (I mostly expect more maturity from my 10 yearold even though I know that she looks older than her years.)

Can anyone suggest any self tips to help me let go of my controlling attitude. So that I can enjoy my family before it is too late and they have grown and moved on? I want their childhood to be magical not a bad memory.

thank-you,
fedup with myself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Nov. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• I know what you are talking about. A Love & Logic parenting class helped me a lot. I'm still working on it, but things are better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I would suggest therapy. I know for most people, therapy seems like an 'extreme' thing to do, but I just started and I wouldn't say I have that many 'issues.' I"m also a professional working mother and I was under a lot of stress being new to this (first-time mom of an infant). I'd find myself very pissed off when I got home from work due to being so tired and stressed out. Therapy was a good choice because I have good insurance and it's basically free, so why not? I figure I don't want to screw my daughter up because of my own issues, so I should work on it. It's helping and if anything, its just an hour to talk. Things have improved a lot since I"ve been going and my husband is very happy about it, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Nov. 9, 2009