What kind?

I want a dog but I am allergic to most types of dogs saliva and fur if I touch my eyes after touching them. Is there any types of dogs that may cause less allergic reactions?

hotmama404

Asked by hotmama404 at 10:49 AM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Pets

• I don't know if it is true for everyone, but SO is allergic to dogs, most all dogs, but we have a miniature pug and he isn't allergic to her at all.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 10:54 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Yorkies
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 10:58 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• a taco bell dog is good for allergies..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 11:02 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Long hair dogs shed less. However there hair does pick up other allergens. I have a yorkie, a lab, & a wire terrier mix. My yorkie does not shed, but he brings in dust & pollen. When I start sneezing, it's time for a bath. It's worse during August when pollen is at it's highest peak.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• You probably need a dog that has "hair" as opposed to "fur". If you look up hypo-allergenic dogs you can find out which ones and pick a breed that is less likely to cause your allergic reaction, Also, get a purebred if you are looking specifically for less allergic reaction, because a mixed breed might look like a purebred and still cause the reaction.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:16 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Type in Hypo allergenic dog breeds and google it. I personally would stay away from the designer dogs one because i think it is stupid to spend a ridiculousamount of money on a mutt (especiialy since you can find that same mix in shelters if you look hard enough) because that is all they are and secondly there is no true guarantee that they really are hypo allergic especially if they are first or second generation of that mix.

Here is one site that lists some breeds considered hypo allergenic

http://www.allergyescape.com/hypoallergenic-dog.html 

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• There is no such thing as a miniature pug. Don't get pulled in by breeds that claim to be t cup anything, or miniature anything aside from a poddle. There is NO such thing as an appleheaded chihuahua, or a mini pug, or a tcup anything. All they are are runts bred to extreme smallness to sucker in people that think they are paying for latest greatest breed.

As for hypoallergenic breeds, Bichon Frise, Hairless dogs, like Chinese Crested Dogs. Go to different breeders and figure out what you are looking for. DO NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT get a dog from a petstore.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 4:55 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Have to agree with PP as to being sucked in by all the bs people will hand out when trying to sell a puppy. As far as breeds that are better then another for hypo-allergenic properties, definitely look towards the poodle, and other such breeds - not the labradoodle, or goldendoodle, as they can shed and I know someone whose child is very allergic to their goldendoodle. I have known people in the past that even with severe allergies have been able to live with Old English Sheepdogs. So do some research, make a list of 5 or so breeds, and find some breeders, then go visit and see how your body reacts after being around a bunch of that one breed. Good luck in your quest
    jojuzach

Answer by jojuzach at 10:16 PM on Nov. 11, 2009