Just wondering... Question about breast milk.

I breastfed my daughter for about four months. I wanted to breast feed longer but my body was not producing enough milk. Well here it is almost three years later and if I try I can still get milk out. Not a lot but it still is there ever since I stopped breast feeding I have always been able to get some. I’m about 6 months pregnant now and the other night I tried to see if I could get milk and at this point I had not checked in about 5 months and when I did it was dripping out at a fast pace. Is any of this normal? I just think it’s odd. I have not breast fed in three years and it just won’t go away. I’m going to breast feed this baby too so I suppose it’s a good thing. Just wanted to know if it’s normal.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It is normal, and now your body knows what to expect, so its gettin ready for baby (the reason for the extra milk). heck my mom hasnt BF a kid for 13 years and sometimes gets that letdown feeling (no milk but the feeling). she said she had breastmilk for two years after my youngest brother. so its just your body telling you its ready for that baby to eat haha.....congrats to you!~
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 11:19 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I only breastfed my first child for a month. When I became pregnant with my second child I had no breast milk or colostrum leak while was pregnant. However, I breastfed my second child until she was a year old. When i became pregnant with my third, I would leak constantly and could get a fair amount of "boob juice" out without trying. so from my own person experience, I think it is normal. A friend of mine stopped at a month, and even when she wasn't pregnant could still produce a bit of breast milk long before she became pregnant with her second.
    yvonneames

Answer by yvonneames at 11:19 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I am 29 weeks and there are a few times a day where I have to express the colostrum (BTW it is NOT breast milk that is coming out, it is just colostrum) I just squeeze my boob and put TP up to my nipple to soak it up. Its not like I am engorged or anything but my areola starts to sort of pop out and it feels better after I do that
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:24 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• definitely normal.

what made you think your body wasn't producing enough?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Nov. 9, 2009