Forced to pray to get off a bus?

ATLANTA -- A MARTA bus driver is on suspension following allegations that he forced passengers to pray before allowing them to exit the bus.

Christopher James was one of those passengers. James said, initially, he thought something was wrong when he rang the bell to get off the bus and the door didn’t open.

James said the bus driver asked him and three other passengers to join hands in prayer. James said the driver prayed with the group for about four minutes.

“He got up out of the driver’s seat,” said James.

James, who isn’t against prayer, said he felt compelled to join in although the request confused him.

James’ cousin, who arrived at the bus stop to meet him, said she saw the men standing inside the bus, but didn’t realize they were praying.

“I was like, ‘Why were y’all praying on the bus? He said the man would not let them off the bus,’” said Thembi Cresser.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:13 AM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I wish I would have been on that bus because I would have shit a brick and threw a fit. Better believe that freak would have let ME off that bus without praying!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:16 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• What is your actual question?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

LOL I thought it was going to read I would shit a brick and throw it at him!! LOL
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:18 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• aww man... I wish the news would put a little more focus on the good things that Christians are doing in the world instead of highlighting the crazy minority.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:18 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• What is your actual question?

What are your thoughts on this?

Seriously, forced to PRAY to exit the bus??

sweet-a-kins

• I like praying and sharing with others about Jesus, those who are interested, Can't force someone to pray though, not sure what this man was doing, maybe he had right intentions, but wrong timing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Most people pray BEFORE they get on a bus in Atlanta
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 11:24 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I don't know. Something tells me that I would definitely be praying to get off his bus.

kenzie, I think the press has to distribute as much about different religious whack jobs to offset the anger that some are feeling about the Ft. Hood tragedy.  They don't want anger focused on one group of people.  I know it sounds a bit conspiracy, but for some reason my mind went there.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:25 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I'm all for prayer, but I'm not Christian. If I were the bus driver I would have asked if they would mind joining me in prayer. before leaving the bus. Not making them stay and obligating them to.
    yvonneames

Answer by yvonneames at 11:25 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• the "crazies" represent a vast majority- not the minority. most christians would agree that it is a "great idea" to have everyone pray. even if they were forced to do so. its sharing the good word, right?

anyway, i know personally, that i would have exited the bus- without praying. without cooperating, or even appearing that i was praying. if people were "forced" to do this, than they were willing enough. i absolutely would have had a shit fit, and been done with the whole riding of the bus experience. quick. fast, and in a hurry.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:26 AM on Nov. 9, 2009