Is my son ready for potty training?

My son is 17 months and has shown a great deal of interest in the potty. He poops at the same time frame each day(unless were not home, he refuses to go in public), grabs his diaper or comes to me when he poops, goes to the potty and pretends he going when i undress him for his bath and yesterday he was OBSESSED about the toilet after his bath. Normally he goes to it, pretends to go but last night he kept grabbing his penis going to the toilet and just seemed to know something was up down there. Then he faced the door and peed on it. He doesnt use words like "peepee or poopoo" but we can figure out his actions. I was planning on waiting until he was two to start because it would be summer and it would be warm enough to let him run around naked and I can devote much more time because school will be out. I was even thinking that might be too early but now I dont know. Should I start now or should I just wait until he is two?

Jnc91

Asked by Jnc91 at 11:22 AM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• START NOW!!! My son is 3 and he still is not potty trained, I should have started him a long time ago!
    Juicy_Mom_of_2

Answer by Juicy_Mom_of_2 at 11:24 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Starting when they're interested does make it easier. Eventually, he'll stop being interested and you'll have to continue with the process without his initial enthusiasm

My son did the same thing when he was just a couple months older, and got really good at going to the potty when he was naked. Unfortunately, when his interest wore out, I was pregnant/sick and didn't take the reins. He always did really good going to the potty when he was naked after that, but he didn't potty train with clothes on until more than a year later (once I was done with pregnancy and sleeping reasonably agian, I pushed the issue). It made the later potty training easier/faster. So, even if you just humor him now and nurish his interest in the toilet, once you do potty train the positive effects will still be there.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 11:29 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• i say start now. get a stool to put in front of the potty, or just set him on it when he shows interest. if you notice him grunting, then hurry him to the potty, and lots of praise!!!! hopefully your lil guy will fight the norm for boys and be an easy one to potty train. DS is 11 months old and already comes to me when he has a dirty diaper. I tell him shoo-ey when i change his diaper, and realized i was shaking my head, bc now when he poops he comes up to me and shakes his head like i do when i say that lol....i hope he'll be easy too!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 11:29 AM on Nov. 9, 2009