Bottle to sippy!

I just answered another question, and it made me realize something. Weaning from bf-ing, the paci, and sleeping through the night were way to easy for me. I think getting rid of the bottle is gonna be a fight! DS will be a year old on the 29th, and he uses a sippy and a straw cup, but when he's ready to sleep, only a bottle will do. Any ideas on how to make it easier? Or do you think since he already uses the other cups its not going to be as bad as I'm afraid of?? O and he doesnt sleep with a bottle in his bed, he just has one before bedtime and then i put him in his crib.

AmandaN1

Asked by AmandaN1 at 11:26 AM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son is breastfed but he would have a bottle before nap time while i was at work from 3 months to about 16 months. then he just started going to nap time without a bottle. it happened at home with dad first. daddy told me that he was taking his nap without a bottle first, so i told his day care teachers and they tried it and it worked! i thought there was no way he would go to sleep without either nursing or bottle first but it was really easy. he does still nurse before bed now but only for about 10 seconds. totally routine/comfort thing.

i agree with anon that it is completely a comfort thing but i disagree that that means he shouldn't do it. comfort isn't useless. your son is still really young, and if it were me, i would wait a few more months. every mom is different and has different views on when to get rid of bottles :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:17 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Take the bottles out of the house...if he knows that they are there he will refuse until you give in...and you may just give in to avoid the fight. If they aren't there, then there's no other option. He will figure it out and you won't have to stay as strong.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:31 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Just only give sippy sups unless it's bedtime or nap time. When he gets older, replace the naptime and bedtime bottle with a sippy too.

My DS used a bottle only before bed from the time he was 13 months old to 16.5 months old, then the switch the rest of the way to the sippy wasn't so bad.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:38 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• He's using sippys, there is no reason for a bottle to still be involved. It's only a comfort item at this point since you give him one at bedtime. If he wants a drink, he uses a cup (sippy or straw) or nothing.

I'd also suggest not giving liquid at bedtime anymore or you're going to have another potential battle when it's potty training time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I let my DS have a bottle a night until he was 18 months old, it seemed to soothe him, and we made a big production of throwing it away and giving it to the "babies" who needed it! Good luck Mom!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:58 AM on Nov. 9, 2009